Subject: [ippm] Comment on draft-ietf-ippm-owdp-14

From: "nick kinraid" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 13:26:32 +1300

Hi, 
Just a small comment,

In section 3.5, page 16, 2nd to last paragraph:
"Otherwise, SID is a unique server-generated session identifier." ,
referring to the case when conf-receiver was set.

However on page 17, top paragraph:
"Note that SID is always chosen by the reciever."

Previous statments in the document refer to the receiving side generating the SID, so maybe the first sentence is incorrect and can be changed to read 'session-receiver generated...".

Regards
Nick Kinraid
NOTICE: This message contains privileged and confidential
information intended only for the use of the addressee
named above. If you are not the intended recipient of
this message you are hereby notified that you must not
disseminate, copy or take any action in reliance on it.
If you have received this message in error please
notify Allied Telesyn Research Ltd immediately.
Any views expressed in this message are those of the
individual sender, except where the sender has the
authority to issue and specifically states them to
be the views of Allied Telesyn Research.

_______________________________________________
ippm mailing list
[email-masked] 
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ippm

---

From: stanislav shalunov <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Nov 2005 00:53:55 -0500

> "Note that SID is always chosen by the reciever."

Nick,

Thanks for writing this down.  Is this the same problem that Sharee
mentioned during the physical meeting or should I pursue her bug
report separately?  (I'm not in Vancouver.)

> Previous statments in the document refer to the receiving side
> generating the SID, so maybe the first sentence is incorrect and can
> be changed to read 'session-receiver generated...".

The key is the sentence preceding the first quote.  Here's the context:

#   If only Conf-Sender was set, the SID field in the response is unused.
#   Otherwise, SID is a unique server-generated session identifier.  It
#   can be used later as handle to fetch the results of a session.

I believe the text is correct.  It is also more clear than it would be
if it were changed---because the change would remove useful
information.  More importantly, the change would make the sentence
wrong (in a minor way): the SID is not generated by the receiver,
which might have no clue about OWAMP-Control or SIDs, but, indeed, by
a party participating in the OWAMP-Control exchange---the server in
this case.

SID is always generated by the side of OWAMP-Control responsible for
the receiver.  This formalizes the condition and tells the implementor
when this side is the server.

-- 
Stanislav Shalunov		http://www.internet2.edu/~shalunov/

This message is designed to be viewed with 0.06479891g of NaCl.