Subject: [ippm] RFC 4737 on Packet Reordering Metrics

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 15:01:17 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4737

        Title:      Packet Reordering Metrics 
        Author:     A. Morton, L. Ciavattone,
                    G. Ramachandran, S. Shalunov,
                      J. Perser
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       November 2006
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      45
        Characters: 94699
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ippm-reordering-13.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4737.txt

This memo defines metrics to evaluate whether a network has maintained
packet order on a packet-by-packet basis.  It provides motivations
for the new metrics and discusses the measurement issues, including
the context information required for all metrics.  The memo first
defines a reordered singleton, and then uses it as the basis for
sample metrics to quantify the extent of reordering in several
useful dimensions for network characterization or receiver design.
Additional metrics quantify the frequency of reordering and the
distance between separate occurrences.  We then define a metric
oriented toward assessment of reordering effects on TCP.  Several
examples of evaluation using the various sample metrics are
included.  An appendix gives extended definitions for evaluating
order with packet fragmentation.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the IP Performance Metrics
Working Group of the IETF

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
 Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
 status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

_______________________________________________
ippm mailing list
[email-masked] 
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ippm

---

From: Henk Uijterwaal <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 07:14:47 +0100

Dear Authors,

>                     G. Ramachandran, S. Shalunov,

Congratulations for getting this RFC published,

Henk

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Henk Uijterwaal                           Email: henk.uijterwaal(at)ripe.net
RIPE Network Coordination Centre          http://www.amsterdamned.org/~henk
P.O.Box 10096          Singel 258         Phone: +31.20.5354414
1001 EB Amsterdam      1016 AB Amsterdam  Fax: +31.20.5354445
The Netherlands        The Netherlands    Mobile: +31.6.55861746
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

# Lawyer: "Now sir, I'm sure you are an intelligent and honest man--"
# Witness: "Thank you. If I weren't under oath, I'd return the compliment."