Subject: Re: design team membership

From: Pete Resnick <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 01:23:36 -0500

On 6/14/02 at 2:51 PM -0400, Steve Bellovin wrote:

>Per the provisions of the IESG policy on design teams (see 
>http://www.ietf.org/IESG/STATEMENTS/Design-Teams.txt), here are the 
>members of the IPR design team:

That document says:

     This does not apply to individual efforts that start
     and exist outside any WG.

Since you do not have a chartered working group, this is an 
individual effort and the policy does not apply.

>Harald Alvestrand
>Scott Bradner
>Jeff Schiller
>Randy Bush
>Jorge Contreras
>Rob Austein (ex officio)
>Steve Bellovin (ex officio)

So except for one of the ex officio chairs and the attorney from the 
firm that advises the IETF, everyone else on "the design team" is 
also on the IESG? Was there insufficient interest from other members 
of the IETF on this apparently important topic and therefore a 
broader spectrum of participants could not be found?

Patiently trying to figure out what exactly is going on here,
pr
-- 
Pete Resnick <mailto:[email-masked]>
QUALCOMM Incorporated - Direct phone: (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102

_______________________________________________
Ipr-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg

---

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 09:35:43 -0400

>individual effort and the policy does not apply.

Yes, I realize that.  But I'd already received private email asking 
about the design team, so I decided to treat the requirement as a moral 
imperative.
>broader spectrum of participants could not be found?
This is precisely why I posted the list -- we don't want this to appear 
as a secret effort by the IESG to push something through.  We do want 
involvement by the IETF community.  The effort was initiated by some 
IESG members because we were the ones who saw the problems with 2026.

		--Steve Bellovin, http://www.research.att.com/~smb (me)
		http://www.wilyhacker.com ("Firewalls" book)