Subject: madrid accords

From: Bill Manning <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 05:27:41 -0700 (PDT)

having walked this path before, it might be instructive to 
	look to the public records that ICANN has had to deal with
	regarding IPR as reprented by DNS lables.  The whole 
	dispute resolution process seems to hinge on the fact that 
	there are differing rules on IPR protection, depending on
	which jurisdiction is germaine.  Most of the world uses 
	the Madrid accords, with a couple of exceptions. The USA
	and Japan are non-signatories, if memory serves.

-- 
--bill

_______________________________________________
Ipr-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg

---

From: "James Seng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 20:55:31 +0800

Trademark is one of the aspect of IPR the IETF have to deal with. The more
urgent issue, IMHO, is on the problem of patents of IETF related protocols.

-James Seng

---

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 23:22:42 +0200

which Madrid accords are you thinking of?

http://www.wipo.int/treaties/ip/index.html lists the "Madrid agreement for 
the repression of false and deceptive indications of source on goods", 
which doesn't seem like the one you were thinking of.

The "Madrid agreement concerning the international registration of marks", 
listed under "global protection system treaties", is probably the one you 
were thinking of; Japan became a party to the agrement on March 14, 2000; 
the US doesn't seem to be a member.

the US is a signatory (since March 6, 2002) to the WIPO Copyright Treaty 
(Geneva 1996).

the US has signed the Patent Law Treaty (Geneva 2000), but not ratified it.
That one is not yet in force, anyway.

WIPO seems to have abandoned the charming practice of labelling treaties 
with various cities; probably comes with having too many meetings in Geneva.

Oh well. Minneapolis meeting, anyone?

                   Harald

---

From: Bill Manning <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 14:58:50 -0700 (PDT)

% The "Madrid agreement concerning the international registration of marks", 
% listed under "global protection system treaties", is probably the one you 
% were thinking of; Japan became a party to the agrement on March 14, 2000; 
% the US doesn't seem to be a member.
% 

	thats the one...
	as I stated earlier, my exposure was a -long- time ago (circa 1998)

-- 
--bill