Subject: notice of a change in draft-ietf-ipr-submission-rights

From: [email-masked] (Scott Bradner)
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 22:30:20 -0500 (EST)

When we worked on draft-ietf-ipr-submission-rights we carefully did not
presume to define anything about the RFC Editor's requirements for
non-IETF documents other than what was required to protect the IETF as the
publisher of the Internet Drafts.  This led to different sections in the
ID (sections 3 & 4) that define the rights in IETF and RFC Editor
contributions and two sections (sections 5 & 6) that specify the notices
required in each type of document.

The sections that refer to the RFC Editor documents are limited to those
things required to cover the IETF (as the publisher of the IDs).  The
assumption was that the RFC Editor would publish its own document
extending those sections in draft-ietf-ipr-submission-rights however it
wanted to.  This led to some potential for confusion which the RFC Editor
requested that we fix.

Since the duration of the grant of rights is the same for RFC Editor
documents and for IETF document it would be less confusing to make the
text the same.  The same is true for the requirement to permit
translaotions. Thus the RFC Editor has asked for the following changes in
draft-ietf-ipr-submission-rights and I've said that, as editor, I think
theseare good changse - this note is just to inform the ipr working group
that these changes will be made.

section 4.2a
        add the words "perpetual" and "irrevocable" before the word
"non-exclusive" thus making the sentence the same as in section 3.3a

section 4.2a(A) 
	change to read
	(A)  to copy, publish, display and distribute the RFC Editor
	   Contribution as an RFC, and

	(B)  to prepare or allow the preparation of translations of the
	   RFC into languages other than English.

	change (B) to (C) and (C) to (D) later in the same section

note: the reason to change (A) from Internet Draft to RFC is that 
the only reason to create a RFC Editor Contribution is because the
author would like to publish it as a RFC.

Scott

_______________________________________________
Ipr-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg