Subject: Re: Resolution: A suggested additional item in IPR disclosure pages

From: [email-masked] (Scott Bradner)
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 08:47:40 -0500 (EST)

sounds good to me

Scott

---
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 14:31:56 +0100
From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Resolution: A suggested additional item in IPR disclosure pages
 (fwd)

On October 26, I requested feedback from the IPR WG on the form addition 
suggested below.

Only Scott Bradner answered, and did not object, but suggested that "on a 
royalty-free basis" be removed.

I got no other feedback from the IPR WG on the question; I take this as 
permission to go ahead and modify the form in a way that I and the 
secretariat find reasonable.

The following text will go into both templates next to a checkbox
(in section IV of the generic template, section VI of the specific 
template; in both cases placed below the text box):

[ ] The individual submitting this template represents and warrants that all
   other terms and conditions that must be satisfied for implementers of an
   IETF specification to obtain a license have been
   disclosed in this IPR disclosure statement.

The following NOTE will be placed on the Generic page only, below section IV

NOTE: According to RFC 3668 section 6.4.3, unless you check the box above, 
and choose either option a) or b), you must still file specific IPR 
disclosures as appropriate.

Since this increases the need for specifying licensing terms in the form, 
I'll also instruct the secretariat to add Brian's option d) to the form 
both for specific and generic disclosures:

d) | | See text box below for licensing declaration.

(renumbering options d and e to be e and f, respectively)

and change the title of the text box from "Comments, notes or URL for 
further information" to "Licensing information, comments, notes or URL for 
further information".

Thank you.

                   Harald

---------- Forwarded Message ----------
Date: 26. oktober 2004 12:10 +0200
From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: A suggested additional item in IPR disclosure pages

Hi,
now that the web-form disclosure pages are operational, I'd like to solicit
the thoughts of people on the WG mailing list on a possible addition.

In RFC 3668 section 6.4.3, the following language occurs:

>    However, the requirement for an IPR disclosure is
>    satisfied by a blanket statement of the IPR discloser's willingness
>    to license all of its potential IPR meeting the requirements of
>    Section 6.6 (and either Section 6.1.1 or 6.1.2) to implementers of an
>    IETF specification on a royalty-free basis as long as any other terms
>    and conditions are disclosed in the IPR disclosure statement.

The term "any other terms and conditions are disclosed" seems like a nice
thing to know under any circumstance, both for generic and specific IPR
disclosures. So the suggestion came up to add a checkbox to the template,
with the following accompanying text:

> "The individual submitting this template represents and warrants that all
> other terms and conditions that must be satisfied for implementers of an
> IETF specification to obtain a license on a royalty-free basis have been
> disclosed in this IPR disclosure statement

This should go into the generic template, since 3668 explicitly says that
the IETF treats disclosures for which this is true different from
disclosures for which it is not. But I also think it would be good to put
it into the specific template - to allow people to get around the FUD
generated by someone saying "but we don't know what OTHER terms might be
imposed upon us when we ask for a license" in the case where the IPR holder
REALLY wants things to be simple.

Makes sense?

_______________________________________________
Ipr-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg

---------- End Forwarded Message ----------

_______________________________________________
Ipr-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg

_______________________________________________
Ipr-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg