Subject: Notes from an IPR related meeting

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 10:44:27 +0100

On Friday of last week, I visited a group gathered in Geneva to prepare 
input for the WIPO re-evaluation rounds that will occur this year.

This effort may prove to have significant impact on the patent regime we'll 
live under in the coming years - and thus on the IETF's ability to make 
standards.

Meeting notes on this URL:
<http://www.alvestrand.no/reiser/geneva-feb-2005.html>

Enjoy!

                     Harald

_______________________________________________
Ipr-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg

---

From: "George T. Willingmyre" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 11:53:52 -0500

Harald:  Enjoyed the opportunity to participate on the Geneva panel with
you.  My notes below

I participated in a panel discussion on a proposed WIPO Protocol for the
Development of Open Standards (PDOS) February 3 and 4 in Geneva.  The panel
was part of an overall  "EXPERTS MEETING ON WORLD INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY
ORGANIZATION (WIPO)  DEVELOPMENT AGENDA AND TREATY ON ACCESS TO KNOWLEDGE"
organized by the Consumer Project on Technology (CPTech) ; the International
Federal of Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA) and the Third World
Network (TWN).  Many of the presentations were proposals to follow up the
WIPO  General Assembly Decision on a Development Agenda  last October 4,
2004.  See  http://www.cptech.org/ip/wipo/wipo10042004.html    Further
background may be found at
http://www.cptech.org/ip/wipo/genevadeclaration.html

My contribution and follow up to the February 3 and 4 Geneva meeting  may be
found at http://lists.essential.org/pipermail/a2k/2005-February/000100.html
The main points were that any new proposal should impact current problems
and that there is much current global infrastructure that has a role to play
in any solution.  There is a need for more interaction between the community
proposing a new  WIPO Protocol for the  Development of Open Standards (PDOS)
and the current global standards community.

I will continue to  monitor the work and alert relevant organizations of the
initiative.  Note that the standards proposal
http://lists.essential.org/pipermail/a2k/2005-January/000003.html  is just
one of many IPR related  topics. There are proposals for "a2k proposals for
Copyright Limitations and Exceptions " at
http://lists.essential.org/pipermail/a2k/2005-January/000028.html   and
"anti circumvention proposals"  at
http://lists.essential.org/pipermail/a2k/2005-January/000029.html  and
"[A2k] Limitations and Exceptions to Patent Rights"  at
http://lists.essential.org/pipermail/a2k/2005-February/000077.html

The A2K mailing list is open for subscription by interested parties at
http://lists.essential.org/mailman/listinfo/a2k

George T. Willingmyre, P.E.
GTW Associates
1012 Parrs Ridge Drive
Spencerville, MD 20868
301 421 4138 facsimile 301 421 0977
www.gtwassociates.com