Subject: questions on draft-ietf-ipr-trademarks-00.txt

From: Bill Sommerfeld <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 17:47:17 -0500

1) recurring use of claimed terms:

Is there any reason why a document would need to use the (R), (TM), or (SM) mark more than once per claimed mark?  I assume "no"; repeated use on the 
same word should be avoided.

2) Multiple contributors.

The draft cites trademark claims as the action of a contributor.

Since, in practice, IETF documents often include the work of many
contributors, is it ever appropriate to identify *which* contributor(s)
added the (R), (TM), or (SM)?  my assumption is "no"; any specific
identification should instead be documented in the working group's mail
archive.

3) removing/altering these marks when a document changes hands?

Is it ever appropriate to remove these marks as an I-D is handed off from
editor to editor?  my assumption again is "no".

4) updated boilerplate needed?

will it be necessary to update the draft boilerplate to reference 
this document as well?  Since all our other IPR-related issues involve inserting references to process RFC's, my assumption here is that the way to
go is with an optional section analagous to the boilerplate reference to
RFC2119:

	"The marks (R), (TM), or (SM) are to be interpreted as described in
	RFC <TBD>"

and that documents which intend to use this process as soon as it's approved
by the IESG should reference the I-D instead and let the RFC editor
correct the reference.

						- Bill

_______________________________________________
Ipr-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg