Subject: RE: draft-josefsson-ipr-rules-update-00

From: "Contreras, Jorge" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 12:17:26 -0400

>It is, of course, already possible for me to produce something that 
>looks like RFC 2821, that has "RFC 2821" printed at the top of it and 
>which is entirely incompatible with the real RFC 2821. Copyright has 
>nothing to do with that.

Matt -- this would actually be an infringement of ISOC's copyrights as
well as its trademarks.  It would also probably subject you to claims of
unfair and deceptive trade practices under federal and state law.  In
general not a good idea.

_______________________________________________
Ipr-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg

---

From: Matthew Garrett <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 17:22:18 +0100

> unfair and deceptive trade practices under federal and state law.  In

You can't copyright the phrase "RFC 2821". It's also unlikely that you 
can use federal or state law against me, since I'm not located in the 
US. But if you're already able to protect against knock-off standards 
by virtue of trademark law, why do you need copyright law as well?

-- 
Matthew Garrett | [email-masked]