Subject: Re: draft-ietf-ipr-rules-update-00.txt

From: Nathanael Nerode <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 21:16:13 -0400

C.M. Heard wrote:
> What Joel is concerned about is publishing a modified version of an
> IETF MIB module that uses the SAME OIDs as the original.  I very
> strongly agree that this should not be permitted.
If this is a problem (and I agree that it is), then it is just as big a 
problem if someone writes and publishes their own MIB module independently 
and uses the same OIDs as the original (with different meanings).

That can't be prohibited by copyright restrictions on derivative works.  Such 
restrictions are not the way to go about this.  Actually, nothing could 
prevent the creation or publication -- but *trademark* restrictions could 
prevent it from being called an MIB module, and could certainly prevent 
anyone from confusing it with the real IETF module, which would probably deal 
with the problem.

-- 
Nathanael Nerode  <[email-masked]>

This space intentionally left blank.

_______________________________________________
Ipr-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg