Subject: Re: Going too far: draft-josefsson-ipr-rules-update-00 and draft- ietf-ipr-rules-update-01

From: Simon Josefsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 11:46:44 +0100

Your story of how restrictive copying condition rules cause problem
was quite interesting.  Just a small remark:

[email-masked] writes:

> This particular situation is final because we cannot change the
> rules retroactively

The copying conditions has been changed retroactively already.  When I
asked the RFC Editor about the copying conditions on RFC 1510, they
answered that the rules in RFC 2026 apply retroactively.  See below.

If that retroactive change was done correctly, I don't see why it
cannot be done again.  If it was done incorrectly, it should be
reverted.  In any case, I believe we should clarify what the copying
condition on the early RFCs are.

Thanks,
Simon

P.S.  The content of the URL below can now be found at:
<ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc-editor/copyright.23Jan01.txt>.

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Copyright and copying conditions for RFC 1510?
To: Simon Josefsson <[email-masked]>
Cc: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 11:07:28 -0800

Simon,

The copyright statement applies retroactively.  Please follow the
instructions as stated at:

   ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc-editor/rfc-copyright-story

Thank you.

RFC Editor

On Sun, Dec 15, 2002 at 10:38:30AM +0100, Simon Josefsson wrote:
> rfc1510.txt does not mention copyright or copying condition. Does the
> copyright notice in
> 
> ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc-editor/rfc-copyright-story
> 
> apply retroactively?  If not, do you know who owns the copyright of
> the document and what the copying conditions are?
> 
> Thanks.

_______________________________________________
Ipr-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg