Subject: 3rd Party Disclosure problem in RFC 3979

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 17:30:52 -0500

IPR WG:

I'd like to call attention to what I believe is essentially a
typographical error in RFC 3979. Specifically, when 3rd party IPR
disclosures are made, I believe that the intention is that the IETF
Secretariat contact the IPR holder, notify them that a 3rd party
disclosure has been made, and ask them whether they have any
disclosure that needs to be made, per applicable RFC3979 rules.

Rather than asking the IPR holder, the current wording in 3979 states
that the "discloser" is to be contacted. This is correct for
disclosures involving one's own IPR, but makes no sense for 3rd party
disclosures. Hence, I believe the following change to RFC 3979 needs
to be made:

> (C) Where Intellectual Property Rights have been disclosed for IETF
> Documents as provided in Section 6 of this document, the IETF
> Executive Director shall request from the discloser of such IPR, a

s/discloser/IPR holder/

> written assurance that upon approval by the IESG for publication as
> RFCs of the relevant IETF specification(s), all persons will be able
> to obtain the right to implement, use, distribute and exercise other
> rights with respect to Implementing Technology under one of the
> licensing options specified in Section 6.5 below unless such a
> statement has already been submitted.

Comments?

I've asked Harald for 5 minutes of agenda time in Dallas to discuss
this issue.

Thomas

_______________________________________________
Ipr-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg