Subject: Rule 107 and the US Copyright Code...

From: "todd glassey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 07:00:22 -0800

Jorge if you are claiming that derivatives are covered under the Fair Use
for Research that the IETF's derivatives would constitute, then I might buy
that under Section 107 of the Patent Act (Title 17), but the problem is that
this only allows publication of the documents, not the development of the
derivative instances which are called for under the IETF's standards
process.

There is also the issue of the Exclusivity granted to the IETF for those
rights and how under US Law that requires a signed release...

Anyway - if you want to separate the republishing rights from the derivative
rights necessary to make a IETF standard, then what is the point? - the ONLY
reason anyone would contribute anything to the IETF is for the creation of
those standards, so without the ability to create that work - a IP cannot be
properly brought into the IETF for vetting since it cannot be implemented in
the IETF's framework, making the whole proposition a fraud from the gate
IMHO.

Todd Glassey

_______________________________________________
Ipr-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg