Subject: Jorge - I see a federal judge today stopped the Nortious BIG's album today...

From: "todd glassey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 18:55:35 -0800

And you ask why a Rap Album is like an IETF Standard? and if by remote
chance they are, why is that relevant to the IPR-WG? - Because it set a
standard for how Federal Courts will react to copyright's being infringed
upon. In the album's case, Sean Comb's - aka 'PDiddy' was found to have
illegally sampled a piece of copyrighted material from the Ohio Players and
then republished it as part of a larger or more developed derivative work
under a new Copyright with no license.

Sound familiar??? - Can you say Syslog? and RFC2026... a dance made in
heaven.

The sales ban imposed by U.S. District Judge Todd Campbell affects the album
and the title song in any form, including Internet downloads and radio play.
By the way - how would the IETF do that if it had to???

Because it may... Syslog is not the IETF's property. It has formal owners
and they are not the IETF nor did they give the IETF the right to 'republish
their copyrighted protocol models' in any form I am aware of.

So here we have the IETF and its Editors - Now sitting in the same chair
that PDiddy is sitting in only the USL and BSD people haven't formally
reacted yet... What does the IETF do? order the pulling of the Syslog
standard until some fast talking and an new agreement between the parties
can be worked out - if it can be worked out that is...

I think that this in a mechanical sense, is exactly what happened in the
Syslog filing - a IETF participant started a filing by writing about a
protocol that already existed and who's source code of any number of
implementations to meet the interoperability requirements were all published
under copyrights, some with aligned terms. others not so aligned. But not
one of those copyright holders gave the IETF permission to republish their
copyright or to formally standardize in the IETF and in the process, give
away all their rights to their protocols.

They also signed no agreement to allow anyone to change any agreements
already in place, or that may be created by the IETF's induction of their
work-product under the terms the work's owners offered it - and not the
IETF's

This clearly documents why its critical that IP that is entered into the
IETF be registered and formally released.

Todd Glassey

_______________________________________________
Ipr-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg