Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipr-outbound-rights-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 02:50:01 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Intellectual Property Rights Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Advice to the IAOC on Rights to be Granted in IETF RFCs
	Author(s)	: J. Halpern
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ipr-outbound-rights-00.txt
	Pages		: 7
	Date		: 2006-3-4
	
The IASA is resposible for managing intellectual property rights on
behalf of the IETF.  This includes the license to copy, implement and
otherwise use IETF contributions, among them Internet-Drafts and
RFCs.  The IASA takes direction from the IETF regarding the rights to
be granted.  This document describes the desires of the IETF
regarding rights granted in IETF contributions.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipr-outbound-rights-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ipr-outbound-rights-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipr-outbound-rights-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
Ipr-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 08:42:36 +0100

I think this is a good framework. Just a few minor
comments; I am consciously not commenting on the parts
that remain to be filled in.

> 3.  Purpose in Granting Rights
...
>    The IETF exists to provide standards which are helpful to the good
>    operation of the Internet. 

We need to be consistent with the mission statement here; in fact citing
it [RFC3935] might be a good idea. And that means it isn't only standards.
s/standards/documents/ would cover it better.

> 4.  Powers and Authority
> 
>    As stated in the introduction, the legal authority for determining
>    and granting rights to copy in RFCs rests with the trustees for the
>    IETF trust, which is made up of the members of the IASA.

s/IASA/IAOC/. At this point you need to cite RFC4071 and RFC4371.

> 5.1.  Rights Grented for Reproduction of RFCs
> 
>    It has long been IETF policy to encourage copying of RFCs in full.
>    This permits wide dissemination of the material, without risking loss
>    of context or meaning.  The IETF wishes to continue to permit anyone
>    to make full copies of RFCs.

s/copies/copies and translations/

    Brian