Subject: Does under Title 35, a submission to the IETF constitute an invention?

From: "todd glassey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 08:32:05 -0800

Jorge - under Title 35 how much of what the IETF publishes would qualify as
inventions? i.e. how much of the text that is published is specific to a
process or method of accomplishing something? - All of it? 90%, 70% - I
think its all of it with the possible exception of the 'BCP's' but if that
is true then... this changes much of what the IETF does since it is not only
copyrights that MUST be dealt with but the underlying IP rights. And if
this is true, then it changes everything since the IP publishing of the
technical descriptions starts certain Patent Rights Clocks ticking and
because of this - the Patent and Copyrights CANNOT BE
SEPARATED as they are tied together by an act of Law in the US
(that starts the clocks...).

Todd Glassey

_______________________________________________
Ipr-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg

---

From: "Contreras, Jorge" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 14:46:04 -0500

Much of what's included in IETF standards is covered by 
patents.  That's why we have RFC 3979.

-----Original Message-----
From: todd glassey [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Sunday, March 12, 2006 11:32 AM
To: Contreras, Jorge; [email-masked]
Subject: Does under Title 35, a submission to the IETF constitute an
invention? 

Todd Glassey