Subject: RE: Additional Copyright notices in IETF documents

From: "Contreras, Jorge" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 14:39:58 -0400

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Simon Josefsson [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 8:16 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Additional Copyright notices in IETF documents
> 
> 
> In particular, I'd appreciate Jorge's input on whether this approach
> would be impossible to adopt for the IETF for some legal reason.
> Given how often documents have multiple copyrights, I'd be surprised
> if there are any legal issue that can't be resolved without altering
> the intent of this document.
> 
No, there's no legal reason that you can't have multiple copyright
notices if there are different owners of different portions of a 
work.  If multiple notices are used, it would make sense to identify
the portions that are associated with each copyright notice (which
is the practice, for example, in a literary anthology).> 

_______________________________________________
Ipr-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg

---

From: "todd glassey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 06:00:30 -0700

Jorge - what you were talking about here is about collaborative works where
a certain individual or rights-owner holds rights to a specific section of a
document which is only one model.

There additionally could easily also be instances where multiple individuals
jointly hold copyrights to the same body of work as opposed to specific
sections of a work as in a compendium. This also is probably manageable
under the same set of proviso's too.

Todd