Subject: #1167 Excerpt labelling - resolution, summary of discussion

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 11:48:45 +0200

On April 25, I posted to the WG.

> I suggest that we resolve this ticket by saying (in Joel's draft):
>
> - All excerpts SHOULD be labelled with source - at least the RFC 
> number or draft name - unless it's unreasonable in the context of the 
> publication.
>
> - For text that is modified from its original, the words "based on" or 
> an equivalent SHOULD be included in the label - it MUST be made clear 
> that the text is not the original text.
>
> Resolution of this issue does NOT resolve what modified texts are 
> permitted - just how they're labelled....

This caused a debate of < 16 relevant messages from 5 participants.

In summary:

- Spencer Dawkins agrees, and worries about details on labelling (RFC 
2026, not "2026" alone)
- Todd Glassey thinks that this does not address his concerns
- Simon Josefsson likes it, but worries about the intersection with the 
"no derived works" clause
- Brian Carpenter thinks that "no derived works" docs are not the IETF's 
problem

Some messages on the thread went down the issue of "IETF RFC" vs "RFC", 
and others went down the issue of whether there are loopholes that would 
allow "no derived works" on IETF documents.

In summary, I see nobody making a substantive objection to this 
resolution. I claim consensus on this issue, and that Joel can wordsmith 
a proposed text into his document.

                          Harald

_______________________________________________
Ipr-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg