Subject: Confusing COPYRIGHTS and USE RIGHTS... They are not the same thing.

From: "todd glassey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 10:22:06 -0700

Folks - the Use License in the IETF's release is much more than a simple
copyright release. It also implies certain use rights as well and these are
issues since this IMHO also would trigger a need for stronger IP transfer
methods than are in place. It also has expanded the conveyance of the IP to
the IETF into the actual IP under the publication of the descriptions of the
IP.

The other issue is to notice that Copyrights are Copyrights and pertain to
republication, not the use of the IP outside of that publication - except
that binary images may be constrained as Phonograph style recordings and as
such could be protected both by patent and by Copyright as well...

So its really important to realize that there are two separate but
inextricably linked sets of IPR issues that must be dealt with and that any
submission of IP to the IETF for vetting in its standards process must
address this.

Todd Glassey

_______________________________________________
Ipr-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg