Subject: Dumb Question... Doesnt the Publication of the TEMPLATE under the ANY and ALL Uses give away all rights to the TM and CR statements?

From: "todd glassey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 09:36:24 -0700

Hey Jorge - does the publication of the IETF's Template under the Any and
All uses agreement mean:

    1)    That the IETF has placed its proprietary document format up under
the same use license as the reprinting rights are provided under. THIS MEANS
ANYONE CAN REPRODUCE ANY IETF DOCUMENT ANYTIME ANYWHERE... It also means
that the IETF lost permanent control of the TEMPLATE itself.

I think this is TRUE.

So ANY and ALL USES could pertain to extracting the IP from the Document
that formatted it into the final presentation image that the IETF requires
for publishing. The problem is that the IETF takes submissions in Postscript
and PDF which are both capable of maintaining metadata and do not require
the flattened paper-emulation mode for the submissions. REMEMBER THIS SINCE
ITS MEANS THAT THE METADATA in the STYLE SHEETS is at play here too...

    2) That the IETF's submission process actually has TWO (2) separate
releases involved and that the first is the INBOUND TO THE IETF release and
the second is the OUTBOUND public usage release. These are two (2) separate
and very distinct releases since the first one is between the SUBMITTER and
the IETF, and the second is the one between the IETF and ALL EXTERNAL
RELYING PARTIES...

Why this is important is that the INBOUND RELEASE is for the use of the
DERIVATIVE WORK which is the SUBMITTER'S IP and the IETF'S Template.

    3)    Since the Publishers have to review and verify the content and its
formatting, there is work-product involved in the publishing process and
that activates the IP overhead issues pertaining to those processes, which
BTW appear to be totally undocumented.

Here is the deal - I think legally speaking that the IETF, by publishing the
template and its key copyright statements under a document specifically with
the ability to extract and reprint for ANY DERIVATIVE USES any part of that
document, that the IETF copyright statements which became ART in the
graphical image of the Document, the IETF Trademark and the IETF name which
are also reduced to ART are now unprotectable since they were essentially
given away...

Why? Because the IETF's process of flattening the METADATA out of an MS Word
File created a process for making a 'presentation copy' of the work-product.
Its not the workproduct itself but rather a representation of the
Workproduct that was encapsulated in the paper-emulation framework called
the IETF Template.

Todd

_______________________________________________
Ipr-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg