Subject: Re: problems caused by rules-update-07

From: Simon Josefsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2006 12:19:49 +0200

"Contreras, Jorge" <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Given that we don't know what the outbound license from the IETF
>> should be, I believe we shouldn't restrict the IETF Trust from
>> following the IETF's wishes in this area.
>
> This is not being restricted.  I agree that there are some outbound
> rights on which consensus has not been reached, but these are being
> neither precluded nor permitted by this draft.

The draft do restrict the IETF Trust from releasing rights to
documents that the IETF later on decides that it would be a good thing
to have released the rights to.

It is two-sided sword: either give the IETF Trust too much power, or
give it too little so it cannot later on carry out the IETF's wishes.

This affect rights granted to IETF Participants too.  If it later on
turns out that rules-update-07 does not grant the IETF Trust nor IETF
Participants sufficient rights to publish an updated version of a
document within the IETF, we will have to rewrite the document to move
forward.

/Simon

_______________________________________________
Ipr-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg