Subject: Re: [TLS] Re: Third Last Call: draft-housley-tls-authz-extns (fwd)

From: Dean Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 23:36:51 -0400 (EDT)

Oops. This got out before it was fully edited.

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

> On 2007-09-29 08:58, Eric Rescorla wrote:
> ...
> >> After the fraud
> >> by Housley was discovered, 
> 
> I don't know who wrote this libel that Eric replied to
> (apparently it was someone whose email gets magically deleted
> before it reaches me), 

Yet another petty lie. Carpenter edited my name out of Rescorla's
message.  Carpenter can killfile anyone he wants;  advertising that here
just an ad hominem attack. An ad hominem has 2 elements: personal and
irrelevant. It is irrelevant who is in Carpenter's killfile. By
contrast, complaint of official misconduct is not an ad hominem because
it is relevant to proper official conduct.

However, I haven't libeled anyone: Truth is an absolute defense to
libel.  Fortunately, the law gives a definition of actionable fraud and
that definition states the necessary elements:  The essential elements
are representation, falsity, scienter, deception, reliance, and injury.  
All of those elements are present. See
http://www.av8.net/IETF-watch/People/Housley/index.html

> but I would like to remind people that the late IPR disclosure in this
> case had nothing whatever to do with Russ Housley.

A less petty lie, but still not true. Brown has said it was all Brown's
fault. But Brown's claim isn't credible. Housley admits he knew through
all 7 versions that an undisclosed patent existed, and it was Housley
that produced all 7 drafts that contained mis-statements of fact.
Housley wasn't misled by Brown;  Housley and Brown misled the IETF.

> Sorry about the excessive cross-posting, but it does seem necessary
> to correct libels. Being falsely accused of fraud seems to be an
> occupational hazard for IETF Chairs, but that doesn't mean it
> should go unrefuted.

Its less an occupational hazard if the Chair's were actually honest, and
there wasn't such overflowing evidence of unsavory activities.

What Carpenter has omitted (by pretending not to know who made the
accusation) is that Carpenter committed misconduct against me
(Anderson), by (at least) falsely reporting a consensus in a PR-action
against me. Carpenter, then IETF chair, was responsible for a false
report to the IAB that there was a consensus approving the PR-action. In
fact, the consensus was against the PR-action: 15 out of 17 people who
responded indicated they were against the PR-action.
http://www.av8.net/IETF-watch/IESG/IESG-PR-discussion.html

The IAB was apparently told that there was less than 10 messages on the
IETF list.  Though, even that is still not a consensus! [See section 5.4
of http://www.iab.org/appeals/2006-07-13-anderson-response.html]

Incidentally, it also turns out the PR-action is contrary to the law
governing corporations (the IETF is an activity of the ISOC, a US
corporation):  under the law, without a bylaw on suspension or
expulsion, a corporation cannot suspend or expel a member without a vote
of the membership.  The ISOC has no such bylaw, and no vote of the
membership was held. There are some other conditions that also weren't
met. Carpenter, while still IETF chair, was informed of this, but he
apparently has no respect for the law.  
http://www.av8.net/IETF-watch/Suspension_and_Expulsion_Requirements.pdf
(it wouldn't matter if the IETF weren't part of the ISOC. Essentialy the
same rules apply to unincorporated associations and clubs)

There were loads of other problems, not the least of which was the fact
that none of the messages that Carpenter/Kessens/Crocker complained
about were in the least way abusive.  As you might guess, money was the 
motive behind the false charges, and silencing criticism was a way to 
continue to make money with the IETF.

What is libelous is false charges of misconduct, as in the false charges
contained in the PR-action.

		--Dean

-- 
Av8 Internet   Prepared to pay a premium for better service?
www.av8.net         faster, more reliable, better service
617 344 9000   

_______________________________________________
Ipr-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg