Subject: Fwd: BCP78/79 concern: The effect of Lorrain v Markel on the IETF IPR Logging and Transfer process.

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 14:45:10 -0500

I recognize that the attached message concerns work that is beyond 
the scope of the current charter.  However, at IETF 70, the working 
group plans to discuss topics for potential follow-on work.  Please 
consider put this on the list for discussion.

Russ

>From: "TS Glassey" <[email-masked]>
>To: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
>Subject: BCP78/79 concern: The effect of Lorrain v Markel on the 
>IETF IPR Logging and Transfer process.
>Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 11:32:55 -0800
>
>Chair
>I am concerned that Lorraine v Markel American Insurance ruling 
>effects the IETF in a number of ways making the commentary of mine 
>regarding the need for stronger methods of authenticating IP 
>submissions a reality. Since any matters around the ISOC's SDO and 
>its operations with the Citizens of the US as the US Government 
>itself would be decided in a Federal Court.
>
>As such the IETF's operations processes MUST be brought into accord 
>with the requirements of the Lorrain v Markel ruling...   That means 
>under LvM, email, especially that which is used to convey IP to 
>another owner must be properly authenticated and stored properly 
>making a new set of hurdles in the operations of WG.
>
>Todd Glassey

_______________________________________________
Ipr-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg

---

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 21:23:59 +0100

Russ Housley skrev:
> I recognize that the attached message concerns work that is beyond the
> scope of the current charter.  However, at IETF 70, the working group
> plans to discuss topics for potential follow-on work.  Please consider
> put this on the list for discussion.
As soon as legal counsel, or other competent advice, says that there is
reason for concern here, I will do so.

>> Subject: BCP78/79 concern: The effect of Lorrain v Markel on the IETF
>> IPR Logging and Transfer process.