Subject: ISSUE: incoming 5.7: stale reference to section 5.4?

From: Simon Josefsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 13:31:32 +0100

Section 5.7 reads:

5.7. No Duty to Publish
   The Contributor, and each named co-Contributor, acknowledges that the
   IETF has no duty to publish or otherwise use or disseminate any
   Contribution. The IETF reserves the right to withdraw or cease using
   any Contribution that does not comply with the requirements of
   Section 5.3 and Section 5.4 or 5.6.

The sections mentioned refer to:

5.3. Rights Granted by Contributors to the IETF Trust
5.4.  Sublicenses by IETF Trust
5.6. Representations and Warranties

Compare this with RFC 3978 which corresponding section 3.5 says:

   any Contribution that does not comply with the requirements of
   Section 3.4 and Section 3.3 or 4.2.

Those sections correspond to:

(3.  Rights in IETF Contributions)
3.3.  Granting of Rights and Permissions
3.4.  Representations and Warranties
(4.  Rights in RFC Editor Contributions)
4.2.  Granting of Rights and Permissions

The reference to section 5.4 in -incoming seems spurious and is
potentially a cut'n'paste bug.  As far as I can see, there are no
'requirements' in section 5.4 so the cross-reference doesn't make sense
in the context of section 5.7.  For reference, 5.4 says:

  5.4.  Sublicenses by IETF Trust
   The IETF Trust will sublicense the rights granted to it under Section
   5.3 to all IETF participants for use within the IETF Standards
   Process.  This license is expressly granted under [TRUST LICENSE
   DOCUMENT].

   In addition, the IETF Trust may grant additional sublicenses of the
   licenses granted to it hereunder.  In doing so, the IETF Trust will
   comply with the guidance provided under RFC xxx [-outbound].

Suggested resolution:

 1) Say 'Section 5.3 or 5.6' instead, i.e., drop 5.4.

 2) Say 'Section 5 and 6' which is broader.  It seems reasonable for the
 IETF to be able to withdraw publication of something that violates
 section 5.5 ("No Patent License") or 5.8 ("Trademarks") but that is not
 permitted with the current text or the minor change I proposed.

/Simon

_______________________________________________
Ipr-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg

---

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 16:11:55 +0100

Assigned #1516.

I can't even figure out what the intended grouping is in "5.3 and 5.4 or 
5.6", so I agree it needs fixing.