Subject: Addition to "advice to trust" part of agenda: Submission procedures for IETF contributions

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 19:06:48 +0100

Greetings,

the NOTE WELL text describes a very simple rule of contributions to the
IETF: If you contribute to the IETF (orally, via email, via submission
or via other means), what you contribute is counted as an IETF
contribution, and the contributor is deemed to have agreed with the IETF
requirements for licensing rights in that contribution to the IETF Trust.

As part of the IETF Trust's "maintenance of guidelines" activity, the
Trust has to keep up-to-date any special procedures for specific types
of contribution, such as the required boilerplate in Internet-Draft
submissions.

After an email exchange with the IETF Chair and a chat with legal
counsel, I'm pretty confident that this mode of operation is legally
feasible and workable in practice. But it might be good for the IETF's
relationship to its contributors if we made sure that some types of
contribution submissions are explicitly acknowledged, or that submitters
are reminded of the representations they have made in making a contribution.

Under the agenda point of "Instructions to the Trust", I'm therefore adding:

- Mechanisms for making sure IETF participants know what it means to
contribute
- Mechanisms for verifying that contributing participants know what it
means to contribute

Both are related to the process of contribution submission, but the
issues are, I believe, distinct.

                 Harald

_______________________________________________
Ipr-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2007 08:32:24 +1300

Harald,

On 2007-12-01 07:06, Harald Alvestrand wrote:
...
> - Mechanisms for verifying that contributing participants know what it

You'll have to work hard to convince me that we need anything more
than clicking through a page like these:

http://www.ietf.org/maillist.html
http://www3.ietf.org/meetings/70-notewell.html

(Such a page should probably be inserted in the
I-D submission tool.)

       Brian