Subject: ISSUE incoming 5.3: right to sub-license

From: Simon Josefsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 14:15:27 +0100

The rights granted to the IETF Trust in section 5.3 does not appear to
make it clear that the rights granted by the Contributor to the Trust
are sub-licensable.  The language in the rights are written to only make
it possible for the recipient of the rights to do certain things, which
may prevent the IETF Trust to grant others to rights they were received.
Is sub-licensability explicitly permitted by default in all jurisdiction
wrt copyright licenses?  If that is not the case, I suggest inserting
'sub-licensable' in the header:

   To the extent that a Contribution or any portion thereof is protected
   by copyright or other rights of authorship, the Contributor, and each
   named co-Contributor, and the organization he or she represents or is
   sponsored by (if any) grant a perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive,
   royalty-free, sub-licensable, world-wide right and license to the
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   IETF Trust under all such copyrights and other rights in the
   Contribution:

/Simon

_______________________________________________
Ipr-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg

---

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 16:16:26 +0100

Since the next paragraph talks about sublicensing, I think it is 
obvioius from context what was intended, but I think you're right - it's 
best to be explicit.

#1517 assigned.