Subject: Question about IPR declaration - What can a I-D be used for?

From: "TS Glassey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 06:44:50 -0700

I have a question - and that is what the scope of use for an I-D is.  i.e. 
can it be used as a technical reference for implementing a specification or 
not??? This is a VERY important question since it will constrain the entire 
IETF I-P Management process which I think is currently missing this 
differentiation.

So then let me ask, "if I-D's are not supposed to be public document's that 
people outside the IETF are to work on, then why is this IPR Statement in 
it?" And if they are what is the use of an IETF RFC?

   The IETF invites any interested party to bring to its attention any
   copyrights, patents or patent applications, or other proprietary
   rights that may cover technology that may be required to implement
   this standard.  Please address the information to the IETF at
   [email-masked].

The statement generally would require a technical review of the IP in the 
I-D itself and that would mean a direct expenditure of fee's in the form of 
hours of work to review and comment on it.

What I am saying is that there has been push back on I-D's being used as 
technical standards documents, but this text implies that this is OK to do 
since the I-P in the document is being prepared for public comment.

Unfortunately we don't get it both ways, either the document's are internal 
to the IETF only and so they are not, either they are capable of being used 
for production of the relying party's Protocol or Process Implementation or 
you cant... so which is it because the use license on them needs to be 
adjusted to directly reflect this.

Todd Glassey 

_______________________________________________
Ipr-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg