Subject: NoteWell use pertains to the IETF Mailing Lists too - but hey - anyone with half a brain should have known that - WAS: Re: Subscriptions to "ietf-honest"

From: Todd Glassey CISM CIFI <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 07:17:12 -0700

Melinda Shore wrote:
> I was auto-subscribed to Dean's "ietf-honest" mailing
> list, and I'm unhappy about it.
Sorry Melinda - boy are your wrong - and you need to know that you may 
need to get legal advice on this - because you nor anyone else here owns 
their own IP addresses anymore... you gave them away to the IETF when 
you submitted them to the IETF under the NoteWell provisions.

I personally warned the IETF that the Mailing Lists were included in the 
NoteWell licensing and that anyone operation of a Mailing List form the 
IETF's would constitute a Derivative Work of that Publication several 
years ago.

> I don't know what his
> current status is with regard to the [email-masked]
> mailing list but I think he's pretty clearly abusing
> this mailing list by snagging names from it and
> putting us on his mailing list without asking.
Yeah,  NO HE IS NOT - the NoteWell rules specifically allow that - and 
they CANNOT BE RETROACTIVELY CHANGED  - but its amusing that you think 
they don't.  The EMAIL Addresses in any IETF mailing list are fair game 
for ANYONE under the IETF's idiotic ANY and ALL USES proviso - but hey...
> I'm also
> not thrilled that the "welcome" message he sends out
> fails to clearly identify who's sending it and that
> he does not represent the IETF.  
So far this is the only complaint I think holds water...
> This is a small problem
> but a problem nonetheless.
Actually the problem is the IPR WG Management and its refusal to take 
notice of these issues such that they could be addressed before the IESG 
put those documents into production as the current-controlling contract 
instances. Now you and everyone else here has the problem that any 
mass-marketer can demand the IETF produce those mailing lists, for their 
use under NoteWell  or simply extract them and them turn the 
email-spigot on.

By the way - NoteWell conveyance of an Email Address would also control 
the ability to 'opt out' I am betting - my argument is that it 
eliminates it and that is based on the persistent any and all uses 
language - especially since the use of the mailing list would be in 
republishing IETF content - only this time its a mailing list header and 
the commercial content of the Spammer's

Nice move IPR-WG - I say you screwed the pooch just about as much as is 
possible here.

Todd Glassey