Subject: W3C discussing document copyrights

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 08:12:50 +0200

I feel like I've seen this discussion before....

http://www.w3.org/QA/2010/03/update_on_html_5_document_lice.html

Excerpt:

The result of discussion among the Membership is that there is strong 
support for:

    * a license that allows the reuse of excerpts in software, software
      documentation, test suites, and other scenarios;
    * a license (or licenses) that are familiar to the open source
      community;
    * processes that encourage innovation and experimentation about Web
      technology, so that work can be easily brought to W3C for
      standardization;
    * making the HTML Working Group a forum that is conducive to
      participation by the community at large;
    * ensuring that the HTML 5 specification remains valuable to the
      entire Web community (see an update from Philippe Le Hégaret on
      HTML <http://www.w3.org/2010/Talks/0323-html-plh/> that he
      presented to the Membership).

In short, there is strong support in the Membership (but not unanimity) 
for all of the use cases cited by the HTML Working Group /except/ 
forking the specification. Several W3C Members do feel strongly that the 
document license should allow forking, however.