Subject: RAND and non-commercial use license to end users

From: Florian Weimer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 18:56:16 +0100

Let's assume there is a piece of technology for which vendors can only
obtain licenses under conditions which do not allow them to grant end
users sub-licenses for commercial use.  (I.e., they must stipulate in
the product documentation that the IPR license is for personal,
non-commercial use only.)

Does this still fall under RAND terms?  I think it's distinctly
lacking in the “reasonable” department, specifically considering there
are jurisdictions where personal, non-commercial use of a patent is
never infringement (sadly not the U.S., though).

---

From: todd <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 10:04:22 -0800

There are NO non-commercial PERSONAL USES, they all involve the 
commission of Commerce on the Internet. That means they are non-personal 
in form.

Todd
On 11/30/2014 9:56 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Ipr-wg mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg
>
>
> -----
> No virus found in this message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
> Version: 2014.0.4794 / Virus Database: 4189/8658 - Release Date: 11/30/14

-- 
Thanks,
Todd S. Glassey
[Personal Email]
---------------------------
This email may contain confidential material protected as trade secrets 
and the like and as such is by default considered private and 
confidential in form. Without the word "PUBLIC:" as the opening tag in 
the Subject Line this email is to be considered confidential and may not 
be reproduced or excerpted in any form or disclosed to any unauthorized 
parties in any form; If this mail was forwarded or incorrectly sent to 
you please destroy it immediately.

---

From: todd <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 10:14:05 -0800

Speaking of which... would the IPR group consider helping Mr. McNeil and 
I come up with a FRAND licensing model for the LBS services we control?

Todd Glassey

On 11/30/2014 10:04 AM, todd wrote:
> commission of Commerce on the Internet. That means they are 
> non-personal in form.
>
> Todd