Subject: RE: new to VPN

From: "Jayant Shukla" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 20:10:23 -0800

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]]
> On Behalf Of Mukesh Gupta
> > Is it true that the hardware VPN solutions are always better, 
> > trusted and have higher secure level than software VPN?
> 

On the contrary, I think software solutions are becoming more secure
than the hardware solutions. If you look at technologies related to
intrusion prevention or known/unknown Trojan detection, the software
solutions have a much better edge. 

> I don't think so. AFAIK, hardware VPN solution would just be faster 
> than software VPN.
> 

Fastest VPNs today are hardware solutions, but software VPNs are not too
bad. I run a VPN that can sustain almost 24 Mb/s using 1GHz PIII laptop.
For a customer we are building a VPN (without any custom hardware) to
achieve 1 Gb/s using load balancing. 

In the end, whatever suits your requirements is the best solution, be it
hardware or software. 

Regards,
Jayant
www.trlokom.com