Subject: Re: IKEv2 Terms & Definitions

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 19:01:29 -0500

> When I started reading about IKEv1 a few years ago, I was happy that
section
> "3.2 Notation" was included in RFC2409.
> Although I assume I had a good a good background in IP protocol
engineering
> it was a complete different world to me back then.
> Without section 3.2. it would have been even more difficult for me to
master
> this protocol (also because the complete IKEv1 specification is dispersed
> over 3 documents: IKE, ISAKMP and DOI). As an example, the symbol "|" was
an
> OR function for me but in IKEv1 it means concatenation ..
>
> So I find it a little bit odd that this part is left out especially as it
is
> stated that one of the goals of IKEv2 is to define the entire protocol
into
> one document.
> People new to IKE will have to refer to IKEv1 for terms and definitions.
> So I wonder whether a similar section can still be included in IKEv2 ?

While a lot of the definitions of the notation are scattered throughout the
document, your point is well taken. I started to draft such a section but
decided to put it off to "the last minute" because the terms kept changing
and I feared I wouldn't keep it up to date. But now "the last minute" has
arrived and there may not be time.

Would anyone like to volunteer to either draft a section or would multiple
people like to make suggestions for terms to define and definitions that I
could try to merge and include. I suspect this will have to be put off to
the next revision, but even so I think I could keep track of the
contributed text.

          --Charlie

Opinions expressed may not even be mine by the time you read them, and
certainly don't reflect those of any other entity (legal or otherwise).