Subject: about Inter-gatekeeper operation

From: Guocai Deng <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 11:48:11 +0800

I have review the Gwloc section 3.1, Is there any protocol to support N-tier
Gatekeeper, which would increase scability of IP Phone for deployment ? If
not, why ?

 <<...>> 

     This structure borrows idea from IP Routing and SS7.

Thanks.

---------
This message came from the IETF IPTEL Working Group Mailing List.

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 09:42:27 -0400

> Gatekeeper, which would increase scability of IP Phone for deployment ? If

I'm not sure of your definition of "N-tier gatekeeper". As part of the
outcome of the last IETF meeting, the group achieved consensus that we
should be able to locate gateways by exhcnaging information through
multiple location servers (which may be gatekeepers). There is no
fundamental limitation on the number of such gateways, nor on the way in
which they are connected together. It is not our job here to dictate the
precise architecture in which the location servers are connected (i.e.,
tree, ring, etc.), but just to specify the protocol between them. The
model is in some respects similar to IP routing, in particular, BGP,
although our own protocol may or may not actually be based on the BGP
protocol.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       Lucent Technologies
Member of Technical Staff                   101 Crawfords Corner Rd.
High Speed Networks Research                Holmdel, NJ 07733
FAX:   (732) 834-5379                       Rm. 4C-526
EMAIL: [email-masked]
URL: http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen
---------
This message came from the IETF IPTEL Working Group Mailing List.

---

From: Ami Amir <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 12:35:08 -0400

Hi

The ITU - T SG16 just passed a document - Annex G for H.225.0 called
"Communication between Adminstrative Domains". The document covers how Gatekeepers
that belong to different adminstrative organizations may communicate, hiding the
internal GK network. This creates in effect a multi-tier mechanism (one could
conceivable create multi tiered administration).

Ami

Jonathan Rosenberg wrote:

> > ----------
> > From:         Jonathan Rosenberg[SMTP:[email-masked]]
> > Sent:         Friday, September 18, 1998 3:42:27 PM
> > To:   Guocai Deng
> > Cc:   [email-masked]
> > Subject:      Re: about Inter-gatekeeper operation
> > Auto forwarded by a Rule
> >
> Guocai Deng wrote:
> >

---------