Subject: Re: DNS SRV

From: "Larson, Timothy J." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 12:48:49 -0400

Henning Schulzrinne wrote:
> 
> denggc wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> >     Is there anyone can tell me which DNS product support RFC2052, i.e. DNS
> > SRV resource records ?
> 
> I can't give you a list, but http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs/sip
> contains information on that topic. I have written a modified version of
> resparse that understands SRV records. For testing, note that
> cs.columbia.edu has a SIP SRV record installed pointing to
> erlang.cs.columbia.edu (no SIP server running there right now,
> unfortunately).

I didn't see a direct answer on that web page, but I do know that
BIND 8.1.X supports SRV records and I imagine that most vendors'
DNS servers released in the last year would also.  I would also
assume that SIP user agents have DNS query support for SRV records.
But in general, most client programs (such as web browsers) probably 
do not support SRV queries currently.  Microsoft is intending to make
widespread use of SRVs (ref: recent mail by Stuart Kwan to 
namedroppers mailing list), so the Experimental SRV records may 
become more commonplace.

Tim Larson
---------
This message came from the IETF IPTEL Working Group Mailing List.