Subject: RE: about Inter-gatekeeper operation

From: "Göran AP Eriksson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 17:34:18 +0200

Hi Douglas, cc: others.

You wrote:

Indeed, the Location Server Client Access Protocol should be encapsulated
wrt how a Location Server does its job - i.e. whether it *has* the required
information, has to go and get it, ior just invents it as it goes along. It
should be independent, as far as possible, from whether the client is a PC,
black IP phone, gateway or gatekeeper (although SIP/H.323 independence
might be more of a problem).

To put it differently, I see the Location Server being co-resident with a
Back-End-Server that (logically) provides other services, such as
authentication, authorisation, usage-recording and call-accounting. Your
view may differ.

Allowing for a situation in which the Location Server is not co-located with
the gate keeper seems appropriate. Location Management can be many things,
and solved in many ways. One should allow for that.

However, what's your view on the need to secure the communication between
the LM and the Gk?

Also, about the Back- End server; You mention that it may have several
services, such
as location management, AAA, etc? I assume that this implies different
protocols as
well, one for each service?

Regards,

G AP Eriksson
Ericsson Radio

<The content of this mail reflect my personal view only.>

---------
This message came from the IETF IPTEL Working Group Mailing List.