Subject: Re: some questions re draft-ietf-iptel-gwloc-framework-04.txt

From: "Matt Squire" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 14:47:27 -0500

>
>It would be nice if there were some mechanism of discovering redundant
>peers. For example, one could imagine a mapping from ITAD to DNS, and
>then use SRV to find one of the LSs. Something like 17.itad.int.
>
>In the future, ad-hoc business relationships may well form, in the sense
>that if LS1 contacts LS2, they simply indicate a neutral third party
>(Visa, say) that takes care of billing. Since every provider presumably
>has an interest in being the destination of as many phone calls as
>possible, I don't see why it would refuse any peering offer unless it is
>expects not to be paid for services rendered. Since the peering itself
>does not render any services by itself, it may not even matter whether
>it knows the credit worthiness of the potential peer, in the sense that
>it only refuses service to the actual SIP call rather than the peering
>relationship.
>

I disagree with the motivation for ad-hoc peering.  As you say, every
provider has an interest in being involved in as many calls as possible.
So although they may want to inject the availability of their call routing
information everywhere, they have no motivation for accepting the call
routing information from others, as this can cause calls to be routed
elsewhere.  One of the assumptions of peering, to me at least, is a
definition of how to share resources (ie apply policy).  Accepting
information from others without having any assurance that they're accepting
things from you doesn't seem likely.  

- Matt

---------
This message came from the IETF IPTEL Working Group Mailing List.

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 15:11:09 -0500

> things from you doesn't seem likely.

Whether an LS acts on the information received (i.e., propagates it to
somebody else) would seem to be a policy issue which depends on what
role the LS acts in. We seem to allow ITAD that have GWs and those that
just have clients. The latter may receive information, the former may
advertise their own gateways but don't care about the advertisements
provided by others.

-- 
Henning Schulzrinne   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs

---------