Subject: Re: MED

From: "Reinaldo Penno Filho" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 21:21:07 -0500

On Wed, 10 Nov 1999, Hussein F. Salama wrote:

> > HOP
> > Servers in different ITADs, shouldn't be some cooperation
> > between these Servers, so a Server in some ITAD  does not put a huge
> > or
> > low (any value indeed) that could mess with my routing?
> 
> There should be cooperation between the different LS in the same ITAD,
> since MED (at least the standard version) is only used to differentiate
> between routes coming from the same ITAD.
> 

ok. But in the expanded version that Matt proposed were the MED attribute
would be passed among several ITADs, with each one capable of inserted
their own MED value, there must cooperation, right?

Otherwise, even if I want to advertise a route with a high priority over
another, and lets say I put a MED of 10, but other ITADs in the
advertisement path insert values of 1000, I would not be able to achieve
my goals.

[ ],

Reinaldo

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 10:20:37 -0500

> Reinaldo Penno Filho wrote:
> 

I don't think Matt was proposing that MED apply across providers. Matt
said:

> I think all we need to do is to add wording to the effect that the
> MultiExitDisc parameter can be included by an LS when it inserts itself as
> the next hop, and that the MultiExitDisc parameter should be used by *any*
> receiver to discriminate between multiple routes to a particular
> destination thru the same first hop domain.  

Note the last sentence "thru the same first hop domain". 

I think Matt's proposed wording is good. Note that given this wording, I
think RoutedPath need not be mandatory, since you can always get the
next hop ITAD from the next hop attribute, which is mandatory. As MED
applies to the next signalling hop, this is sufficient.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       200 Executive Drive
Chief Scientist                             Suite 120 
dynamicsoft                                 West Orange, NJ 07052
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (732) 741-4778
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

---------
This message came from the IETF IPTEL Working Group Mailing List.