Subject: [Iptel] comments on draft-ietf-iptel-trip-mib-04.txt - Part 2

From: Kevin Lingle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 13:35:16 -0500

hi,

picking up where i left off yesterday....

31) tripItadTopologyTable & tripItadTopologyIdTable...
   how will these tables be used in managing the LS?
   can they somehow be combined so that there is one "valid" columar 
   object that is not also part of the indexing scheme of the table 
   and thus not (imho) bending the rules of the smi?   

   surely, there is some valid piece of information to be retrieved that 
   is also not part of info you consider required to uniquely identify a 
   row in a table.   when i see repetition of index objects being made
   read-only due to lack of other non-index columar objects, it makes
   me wonder if the table is really defining useful mgmt information.

32) it is generally a good practice to defined a configuration
   object to enable/disable notifications.  make the default 
   value disabled.  that way there is a choice to turn notifs
   on or off for a device in the event that events generating
   notifs may flood a network or for managers to otherwise not
   be receiving notifs from devices.   i don't see such a object
   in this mib.

   such an object could have control over all notifs defined in
   a mib or be defined w/ BITS syntax for individual control of
   each notification.

33) i don't quite understand why you have notifications for
   open and update messages and also a mechanism w/in the
   notification to identify the message type related to the notif
   and further sub-errorcodes.   the errcode info then is not
   completely relevant to the hold timer expired notif is it?

   instead why not have a generalized "message error" notif where 
   the errcode and suberrcode objects identify the messages involved.
   a general notif could then serve additional messages in the future
   w/out having to update the mib with a new message-specific notif.

   not sure if any of that errcode info is then relevant to the
   hold timer expired notif... maybe it's varbind objects could
   be reduced.

34) see my previous email wrt compile error for
    MODULE NETWORK-SERVICES-MIB MANDATORY-GROUPS { applGroup }

35) references section 9...
   [RFC3291] is "Textual Conventions for Internet Addresses"
   not "Network Services Monitoring MIB".

thanks!
kevin
-- 
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
 Kevin R. Lingle       919.392.2029
 checkout: http://wwwin-eng.cisco.com/Eng/IOS/SNMP_WWW/mib-police/
 Sometimes I think I understand everything, then I regain consciousness.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
_______________________________________________
Iptel mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/iptel