Subject: [Iptel] Another wrinkle: 700 numbers

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 13:39:39 -0500

This is another example of a barely-unique number, except that the 
destination depends on the carrier.

I don't think we need to worry about this, but it could make life 
interesting if put on a web page... My perception is that 700 numbers 
are rarely used these days.

 From the FAQ at http://www.nanpa.com/:

What is area code 700 used for?

Area code 700 was assigned in 1983 on the eve of the introduction of 
long distance competition in the US. The intent was that interexchange 
carriers could use 700 numbers to implement new services quickly. When a 
700 number is dialed, the local exchange carrier processing the call 
routes it to the presubscribed interexchange carrier, unless the caller 
has overridden presubscription by dialing 101XXXX before the number. 
Thus each interexchange carrier has access to all 7.92 million 700 
numbers. 700 numbers are different from all other North American 
Numbering Plan numbers because the destinations are not unique, and, in 
fact, depend on the network the caller has selected.

_______________________________________________
Iptel mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/iptel