Subject: [Iptel] Scope of *rn* parameter in the context of LNP

From: "Chelliah Sivachelvan \(chelliah\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 11:00:27 -0600

James:

The current draft (draft-ietf-iptel-tel-np-04.txt) implies that the *rn*
parameter can contain global numbers (i.e., E.164 numbers) in the context of
LNP. This has also been illustrated in one of the examples in section 6(c). 
 
But the scope of LNP is national; as such the scope of routing number (LRN)
is not a globally reachable number. Therefore, it must be treated as a
national number. RFC-3388 also makes a strong statement on this very
subject. Here is the excerpts from RFC-3388 (section 8.2.1.1 ) 
 
   "LRNs are necessarily national in scope, and consequently they MUST NOT
be preceded by a '+' in the 'rn=' field."

We need to resolve the discrepancies between the two specs.

Thanks!
Chella

Cisco Systems,
2200 East President George Bush Turnpike ,
Richardson, TX 75082
Tel: 469.255.1169
 
_______________________________________________
Iptel mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/iptel