Subject: [Iptel] comments on draft-ietf-iptel-tel-enumdi-00.txt

From: "Juha Heinanen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 10:12:49 +0200 (EET)

i saw that comments were asked on draft-ietf-iptel-tel-enumdi-00.txt.  i
therefore read the draft and have a couple of questions:

1) is it now a common/allowed practise that an enum query can result a tel
uri containing another e.164 number so that enum query on that can result
a third e.164 number, etc?  i thought that at some point it was
recommended that enum query on an e.164 number should return the final
result.

2) if so, how can the draft help in preventing loops a -> b -> a?  i
didn't see any mentioning about that, because according to the draft,
enumdi indicator is only added if enum query doesn't produce any result or
produces the same e.164 as result.

3) should there also be an indicator telling that an enum query was made
that resulted in this tel uri, which would allow a proxy, for example, to
implement a non-looping policy?

-- juha

_______________________________________________
Iptel mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/iptel

---

From: lconroy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 09:21:34 +0000

Hi Juha, folks,
Re. point 1.
Strictly, an ENUM query terminates when a URI is returned. It isn't just
recommended, it's required. A "human" may be "in the loop" to resolve a
"tie", but this is still part of the same ENUM query, selecting one 
result.

The only situation in which another domain is queried is if a 
"non-final"
NAPTR is processed; this has no URI, but does have another domain in 
which
the query continues.

In practice, the calling application (such as a SIP proxy or a set of 
SIP
proxies) may make a sequence of separate ENUM queries, running on its 
own
internal (non-ENUM) logic. That is not, however, anything to do with the
core ENUM algorithm running on a machine.

all the best,
   Lawrence

> recommended that enum query on an e.164 number should return the final
<snip>
---------------------------------------
lawrence conroy    |tel:+44-1794-833666