Subject: I want to confirm one thing

From: "Sofina Kuo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 21:00:35 +0800

Hi all,
I want to confirm one thing:
In RFC 4113, mib-2 7.1~7.4 .
Ex:
udpInDatagrams OBJECT-TYPE
       SYNTAX     Counter32
       MAX-ACCESS read-only
       STATUS     current
       DESCRIPTION
              "The total number of UDP datagrams delivered to UDP
               users. Discontinuities in the value of this counter can occur
               at re-initialization of the management system, and at
               other times as indicated by discontinuities in the
               value of sysUpTime."
       ::= { udp 1 }
The object description is "The total number of UDP". 
That means if system support IP and IPv6, we should report the sum of ip and ipv6 packets.
Does it correct? Or it only the sum of ip packets?

Thanks,
sofina
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: arvind saproo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 20:10:11 +0530

Hi,

  That is correct.

"The total number of UDP datagrams delivered to UDP " => We should report
the sum of ipv4 and ipv6 packets

if both are supported.

The Scalar Counter Objects in RFC 4113 are Version Independent. Hence, the
sum (IPv4 + IPv6) needs to

be reported.

Following is an excerpt from RFC 2113 in this regard.

**********************************************************

3.  Transparency of IP versions to UDP

   The fact that UDP is carried over IPv6 as opposed to IPv4, is largely

   invisible to a UDP implementation.  A "UDPng" did not need to be

   defined, implementations simply need to support IPv6 addresses.

   As such, the managed objects already defined in [UDP MIB] are

   sufficient for managing UDP in the presence of IPv6.  These objects

   are equally applicable whether the managed node supports IPv4 only,

   IPv6 only, or both IPv4 and IPv6.

   For example, udpInDatagrams counts "The total number of UDP
datagrams<<<<<<<

   delivered to UDP users", regardless of which version of IP is used
to<<<<<<<<<<<

   deliver any of those datagrams. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

   Stated differently, UDP implementations don't need separate
counters<<<<<<<<<<

   for IPv4 and for IPv6.<<<<<<<<<<<<

Rgds,

arvind

****************************************************************************
***********

            This e-mail and attachments contain confidential information
from HUAWEI, which is intended only for the person or entity whose address
is listed above. Any use of the information contained herein in any way
(including, but not limited to, total or partial disclosure, reproduction,
or dissemination) by persons other than the intended recipient's) is
prohibited. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by
phone or email immediately and delete it!

****************************************************************************
***********

  _____  

From: Sofina Kuo [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 6:31 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I want to confirm one thing

Hi all,

Ex:

That means if system support IP and IPv6, we should report the sum of ip and
ipv6 packets.

Thanks,

sofina