Subject: What does n mean?

From: "Su Thunder" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 13:51:50 +0000

Hi!
Let's see the following paragraph of section 4 in RFC2460.
"   Each extension header is an integer multiple of 8 octets long, in
   order to retain 8-octet alignment for subsequent headers.  Multi-
   octet fields within each extension header are aligned on their
   natural boundaries, i.e., fields of width n octets are placed at an
   integer multiple of n octets from the start of the header, for n = 1,
   2, 4, or 8.
"
here n is the width of the fields in extension header;

another paragraph of section 4.2:
"   Individual options may have specific alignment requirements, to
   ensure that multi-octet values within Option Data fields fall on
   natural boundaries.  The alignment requirement of an option is
   specified using the notation xn+y, meaning the Option Type must
   appear at an integer multiple of x octets from the start of the
   header, plus y octets.  For example:

"
here, n is the multiple of the width of field in extension header,x is the 
width of the field.

I would like to rewrite the former paragraph as:
"   Each extension header is an integer multiple of 8 octets long, in
   order to retain 8-octet alignment for subsequent headers.  Multi-
   octet fields within each extension header are aligned on their
   natural boundaries, i.e., fields of width x octets are placed at an
   integer multiple of x octets from the start of the header, for x = 1,
   2, 4, or 8.
"
Please give me your points,thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------