Subject: [Fwd: Re: humid IPv6 addresses]

From: Pars Mutaf <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 17:12:51 +0200

Dear IPv6, 

FYI, I have received the following comments on 
the human-regenerable IPv6 interface IDs and 
addresses (from the DNSEXT WG).

I've also been told that humid addresses may 
be helpful when L2 multicast isn't supported,
in Wimax for example 
(other mechanisms e.g. IPv6 Node Information 
Queries need L2 multicast for name resolution
UIMS).

With humid, there is also the possibility of 
searching a mobile host in multiple subnets.

Regards,
pars

Subject: Re: humid IPv6 addresses
From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
To: Pars Mutaf <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 21:36:06 +0200

On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 02:54:01PM +0200,
 Pars Mutaf <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 31 lines which said:

> I'm new on this list. When you have time, could you please tell me
> what you think about the ideas presented in the following I-D:
> 
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mutaf-ipv6humid-01.txt

[I am not sure that namedroppers is the proper place to discuss it.]

It seems a very good idea and I find the general scheme useful and
reasonable. A nice addition to techniques like LLMNR.

I have two big issues:

1) Section 3.1 "Human name disambiguation recommendations" should be
completely replaced by the description of a stringprep profile (RFC
3454), instead of your custom algorithm.

You can get inspiration from the profile SASLprep (RFC 4013). (You
have to add your rule which suppresses dashes.)

2) There is no "Internationalization considerations" section, which is
a paradox since this protocol will use human names as input. If Ahmed
El-Sayed wants to type his name in his own script, which is
reasonable, using UTF-8 seems better than US-ASCII. Using stringprep,
as suggested above, addresses this issue.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------