Subject: IANA rules update for routing headers

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 17:54:27 -0700

In the context of reviewing existing IANA registries for various 
protocols, we came up with a couple of missing things. The first issue 
is that http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv6-parameters does not point 
to RFC 2780 which defines the IANA rules for hop-by-hop and destination 
options. This is being fixed by IANA.

The other thing that we noticed was that routing header types do not 
appear to have IANA rules. While this is a really small issue, I like to 
fix a bug when I see one :-) So, Scott and I wrote a draft that defines 
the rules:

   http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-arkko-ipv6-iana-routing-header

The new rule requires IETF review before allocation of a new RH type. We 
have a couple of questions:

1) Does anyone know of an RFC where this would have been specified? Its 
easy to miss one...

2) Are people happy with the rule in the draft?

3) Is the working group interested in adopting this document and moving 
it forward?

Jari