Subject: RE: [Fwd: I-D Action:draft-eubanks-chimento-6man-00.txt]

From: "Hemant Singh (shemant)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2009 19:08:45 -0400

Say Brian and authors of this draft,

What is a compelling reason to ease the checksums in IPv6 UDP packets on
the outer packet?  It may be an optimization, but if the authors can
give a compelling reason why the UDP checksum skip on the outer packet
is so critically required, it would be a good start.

Thanks

Hemant 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Brian Haberman
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 8:21 AM
To: IPv6 WG Mailing List
Subject: [Fwd: I-D Action:draft-eubanks-chimento-6man-00.txt]

All,
      The below referenced draft was composed in response to a problem
encountered in the mboned working group.  There is a proposal there that
allows for the encapsulation of multicast traffic within a unicast
tunnel in order to traverse unicast-only networks.  This draft proposes
to ease the rule on checksums in IPv6 UDP packets.  I have asked that
discussion of this draft occur on the 6MAN mailing list.

      In case anyone is interested in more of the background material,
the draft requiring this change is
draft-ietf-mboned-auto-multicast-09.txt.

Regards,
Bian

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: I-D Action:draft-eubanks-chimento-6man-00.txt
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 10:45:01 -0800 (PST)
From: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title           : UDP Checksums for Tunneled Packets
	Author(s)       : M. Eubanks
	Filename        : draft-eubanks-chimento-6man-00.txt
	Pages           : 7
	Date            : 2009-02-23

We address the problem of computing the UDP checksum on tunneling
IPv6 packets when using lightweight tunneling protocols.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-eubanks-chimento-6man-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------