Subject: Hop Limit

From: Nicolas Dichtel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 17:07:08 +0200

Hi all,

RFC 4443 describes how to deal with an IPv6 packet with hop limit field set to 0 
when a router receives it.

RFC4443, Section 3.3:
    If a router receives a packet with a Hop Limit of zero, or if a
    router decrements a packet's Hop Limit to zero, it MUST discard the
    packet and originate an ICMPv6 Time Exceeded message with Code 0 to
    the source of the packet.

I didn't find what to do for a host. Is it supposed to drop the packet or send 
an ICMP6 Time Exceeded message?

Thank you for your answers,
Nicolas

---

From: Ole Troan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 08:17:53 +0200

> RFC 4443 describes how to deal with an IPv6 packet with hop limit field set
> to 0 when a router receives it.
>
> RFC4443, Section 3.3:
> I didn't find what to do for a host. Is it supposed to drop the packet or
> send an ICMP6 Time Exceeded message?

process as normal.

/ot