Subject: [Fwd: I-D Action:draft-kawamura-ipv6-text-representation-02.txt]

From: Seiichi Kawamura <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 09:52:35 +0900

The -02 draft is posted now.
Appologies for taking so much time to post.

Brian, thank you for introducing the document to 6man.
(that goes for both Brian)

Regards,
Seiichi Kawamura

- -------- Original Message --------
Subject: I-D Action:draft-kawamura-ipv6-text-representation-02.txt
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 17:30:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : A Recommendation for IPv6 Address Text Representation
	Author(s)       : S. Kawamura, M. Kawashima
	Filename        : draft-kawamura-ipv6-text-representation-02.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2009-05-12

As IPv6 network grows, there will be more engineers and also non-
engineers who will have the need to use an IPv6 address in text.
While the IPv6 address architecture RFC 4291 section 2.2 depicts a
flexible model for text representation of an IPv6 address, this
flexibility has been causing problems for operators ,system
engineers, and customers.  The following draft will describe the
problems that a flexible text representation has been causing.  This
document also recommends a canonical representation format that best
avoids confusion.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kawamura-ipv6-text-representation-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Antonio Querubin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 20:04:11 -1000 (HST)

Appendix A states:

    "IPv4-Compatible IPv6 address and IPv4-Mapped IPv6 address are defined
    that carry an IPv4 address in the low-order 32 bits of the address.
    These addresses have special representation that combine hexadecimal
    and decimal notations.  IPv4-Compatible IPv6 address is deprecated.
    Although the use of IPv4-Mapped IPv6 address is not recommended due
    to security and portability problems, the text representation method
    noted in this document should be applied for the hexadecimal part."

The recommended use of mapped addresses is debatable and this document 
could take a more neutral position.  Also do you really think it's 
necessary to even mention something that's been deprecated for a while 
now?  I'd completely omit mention of the deprecated addresses:

Appendix A.  IPv6 Addresses with Embedded IPv4 Addresses

    IPv4-Mapped IPv6 addresses carry an IPv4 address in the low-order 32
    bits of the address.  These addresses have special representation that
    combine hexadecimal and decimal notations.  The text representation
    method noted in this document should be applied for the hexadecimal part of
    IPv4-Mapped IPv6 addresses.

Antonio Querubin
whois:  AQ7-ARIN