Subject: IPv6 Loopback Address Range

From: Vijayrajan ranganathan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 20:47:08 +0530

Hi,
   If I want to use more than 1 loopback IPv4 address, I can
   assign one from 127.0.0.0/8 address range.

   Does IANA reserve some IPv6 address range for loopback communication?
   If not, what is the best address range to use for assigning such an
IPv6 address?

Thanks & Regards
Vijay

---

From: Christopher Morrow <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 11:21:53 -0400

>   If not, what is the best address range to use for assigning such an

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host

> Thanks & Regards
> Vijay
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
> [email-masked]
> Administrative Requests: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
>

---

From: Jeroen Massar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 17:47:09 +0200

>    If not, what is the best address range to use for assigning such an

As Chris mentioned there is only 1 "loopback" address, not a full /8
anymore.

Most very likely you will want these loopbacks, like everything else, to
be globally unique. As such ULA (RFC4193) to the rescue, or just take a
/64 or something from the address space you get from your ISP/RIR/etc.

Greets,
 Jeroen

http://www.sixxs.net/tools/grh/ula/ for a handy generator/registration.

---

From: Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 13:54:11 -0400

Hi Vijay,

>    Does IANA reserve some IPv6 address range for loopback communication?

No. There is only a single address ::1/128 that has been allocated for 
use on loopback interfaces.

>    If not, what is the best address range to use for assigning such an

There is no such range allocated. If you have a valid use case that 
requires such range, you can write a draft and try to request an IANA 
allocation for it.

Thanks
Suresh