Subject: Re: Comments on IPv6 Prefix Subdelegation

From: Aleksi Suhonen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 05:58:48 +0300

Fred Baker wrote:
 > Routing in such an environment calls for a routing protocol such as
 > RIPv6 [RFC2080], IS-IS [RFC5308], or OSPF [RFC5340].  In addition,
 > each CPE router will need to install a static default route upstream
 > and advertise a default route in the chosen routing protocol.

> Your opinions, please...

Here's one!

Just saying that "a routing protocol is needed" will not get us very 
far. Three CPE vendors will each pick a different protocol and implement 
only that, and then those boxes will not inter-operate. They will handle 
the prefix delegation nicely, but after that they will be route deaf.

And even if they do support a common protocol, what prevents them from 
picking a different protocol by default? Or should they always start 
chattering using all the protocols they support in this setup? Of 
course, the protocol could be chosen in all the boxes via the GUI, but 
will your daughter be able to handle that?

No, I feel you should add a routing protocol negotiation method of some 
sort. The simplest method would be that the root delegator within the 
routing domain(*) adds a DHCP option to the PD packet, that essentially 
dictates that "you SHALL have to use routing protocol #3 in conjunction 
with this prefix." If there's some re-delegation going on, then that 
option MUST be copied as is.

-- 
	Aleksi Suhonen
	Department of Communications Engineering
	Tampere University of Technology

(*) The ISP's routers are not part of this routing domain, so the prefix 
delegations that they originate to the CPE don't need to have this option.

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 20:00:53 -0700

The CPE Router Draft is suggesting RIPng as the routing protocol  
within a residential network.

On Sep 3, 2009, at 7:58 PM, Aleksi Suhonen wrote:

> far. Three CPE vendors will each pick a different protocol and  
> implement only that, and then those boxes will not inter-operate.  
> They will handle the prefix delegation nicely, but after that they  
> will be route deaf.
>
> And even if they do support a common protocol, what prevents them  
> from picking a different protocol by default? Or should they always  
> start chattering using all the protocols they support in this setup?  
> Of course, the protocol could be chosen in all the boxes via the  
> GUI, but will your daughter be able to handle that?
>
> No, I feel you should add a routing protocol negotiation method of  
> some sort. The simplest method would be that the root delegator  
> within the routing domain(*) adds a DHCP option to the PD packet,  
> that essentially dictates that "you SHALL have to use routing  
> protocol #3 in conjunction with this prefix." If there's some re- 
> delegation going on, then that option MUST be copied as is.
>
> -- 
> 	Aleksi Suhonen
> (*) The ISP's routers are not part of this routing domain, so the  
> prefix delegations that they originate to the CPE don't need to have  
> this option.
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
> [email-masked]
> Administrative Requests: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
> --------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 20:49:16 -0700

BTW, in IPv4 residential routers: Netgear supports RIP, D-Link  
supports RIP, Linksys supports RIP, Ubuntu supports RIP, Windows  
Server 2008 as a LAN Router supports RIP, MacOSX supports RIP...