Subject: Requesting for Comments to Proposed Extension to ICMPv6: draft-chaparadza-6man-igcp-00.txt

From: "Chaparadza, Ranganai" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 18:52:28 +0200

Dear all,

I am writing to kindly solicit for your comments to the following I-D:
I-D name: ICMPv6 based Generic Control Protocol (IGCP):
draft-chaparadza-6man-igcp-00.txt
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-chaparadza-6man-igcp-00.txt

Synopsis:
"A Generic Control Protocol framework based on Extension to ICMPv6 that
is customizable to specific usage contexts in which different types of
control information exchange messages that convey control data and
control behavioral semantics between any types of participant Functional
Entities hosted by different nodes/devices is presented".

- Draft name: ICMPv6 based Generic Control Protocol (IGCP)
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-chaparadza-6man-igcp-00

We have developed an prototype that shows the benefits of such a generic
framework for control information exchange.

For those attending the IETF 78 meeting next week, I will be glad to
discuss on the subjects and exchange thoughts.

Thank you for taking your time to read the Draft and providing comments.

Brief Summary included below:

Best Regards,

Ranganai

------------------------------------------------------------------
Brief summary of the ideas in the I-D:

Requirement for a Generic Control Protocol Framework that is
customizable to specific usage contexts in which certain types of
control information exchange messages and control behavioral semantics
among some Functional Entities hosted by different nodes is desired.

*Being "Generic" means having the following properties:
(1) Having a Common Part as part of the Message Format that defines a
set of a variety of control semantics (e.g. simple one-way control
information flow, acknowledgement needed or not, solicitations for
information or push/pull behaviors, negotiations for parameter settings,
etc).

(2) Having a Generic Data Part as part of the Message Format that can be
further structured according to the identified requirements for control
communication between two or more types of Functional Entities that need
to parse and interpret the Data Part in their way customized for them by
design.

We propose an Extension to ICMPv6 called "ICMPv6 based Generic Control
Protocol (IGCP)", thanks to the extensibility framework of IPv6
protocols.

Thanks,

Hoping to hear from you,

Kind Regards,
 
Ranganai