Subject: RFC 5942 on IPv6 Subnet Model: The Relationship between Links and Subnet Prefixes

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 18:33:47 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5942

        Title:      IPv6 Subnet Model: The Relationship 
                    between Links and Subnet Prefixes 
        Author:     H. Singh, W. Beebee,
                    E. Nordmark
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       July 2010
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      11
        Characters: 27035
        Updates:    RFC4861

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-6man-ipv6-subnet-model-12.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5942.txt

IPv6 specifies a model of a subnet that is different than the IPv4
subnet model.  The subtlety of the differences has resulted in
incorrect implementations that do not interoperate.  This document
spells out the most important difference: that an IPv6 address isn't
automatically associated with an IPv6 on-link prefix.  This document
also updates (partially due to security concerns caused by incorrect
implementations) a part of the definition of "on-link" from RFC 4861.  
[STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC