Subject: Question on IPV6 RFC 2460 Section 4.2

From: "Mahesh Govindappa" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 20:13:06 -0700

Hi,

I am not sure whether its correct to ask this question here,

I am facing difficulty understanding RFC 2460 Section 4.2 and also Appendix
B.

To be particular below are my doubts:

1.       Xn+y meaning the "Option Type" must appear at an integer multiple
of x octects from the start of the header.

Does it mean that "Option Type" field should appear after offset
values(000/Padding)?

2.       After seeing the appendix I assumed these values for x, n, y

X length in octets of the largest field.

Y Number of fields required.

N?

3.       In Appendix Example 2 why pad1 Option 2 is in 3rd in the options
header and again why padN Option @ end of the Extension Header?

If anyone from Cisco systems you can IM me on [email-masked] .

Thanks

Mahesh G