Subject: RE: [Iotops] Automatically connecting to stub networks...

From: Qin Wu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2020 12:47:59 +0000

>> In answer to your question: State of the Art
    >> 
    >> Currently there is one known way to accomplish what we are describing
    >> here [[Michael, does ANIMA have a second way?]].
    >> 
    >> The ANIMA ACP sets up an overlay network with /128 routing via
    >> RPL(RFC6550) storing mode.
I am wondering how ACP+RPL is different from HNCP+Babel? Are they equivalent?

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2020 08:55:51 -0500

> I am wondering how ACP+RPL is different from HNCP+Babel? Are they equivalent?

They are not equivalent.
They do different things.
They could be used at the same time.
Both can benefit from BRSKI for enrollment of new devices, but both could do
enrollment via another method.

There are similiarities in how some things work.

For instance, both use multicast, and both use IPv6.
Both contain mechanisms to do prefix assignment at different layers.
[ACP/RPL assigns /128s to nodes.  An ANIMA ASA can use the ACP to do prefix
delegation.  The HNCP is used for prefix delegation directly]
(They also both use network byte order... so)

The ACP is an overlay network of point-to-point tunnels that tries hard to be
resilient, and does not *optimize* for shortest path.

HNCP is a consensus protocol which is used to for many things, including
prefix assignment, and the uses Babel to announce them.   It is not an
overlay.  It does find the shortest path.

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )
           Sandelman Software Works Inc, Ottawa and Worldwide