Subject: Intended status of the Variable SLAAC solution draft-mishra-6man-variable-slaac

From: Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 11:39:27 +0100

Hi, 6MANers,

I would like to suggest to consider the Intended Status of the Variable 
SLAAC draft-mishra-6man-variable-slaac to be EXPERIMENTAL, rather than 
the current value Standards Track.

What do you think?

To explain:

During the last IETF meeting we discussed extensively the concept of a 
Variable SLAAC.  In this concept the IID length would be of any length, 
rather than fixed at 64.

There was pushback as well as support to that VSLAAC concept.

As an alternative, there was a suggestion by a few participants to 
consider a 'lightweight ND-based prefix delegation mechanism.'  This 
mechanism would be developped with the blessing of a cellular operator.

But until that is done, we suggest an EXPERIMENTAL status for the 
Variable SLAAC solution draft.

What do you think?

Alex

PS: this EXPERIMENTAL I-D intended status would be accompanied by an 
implementation in the linux kernel that is conditioned by a sysctl knob. 
  This knob is initialized to zero by default.

net.ipv6.conf.enp0s3.variable_slaac=0 by default

If necessary, it would also be accompanied by an EXPERIMENTAL status for 
a 'VSLAAC' option in the kernel configuration (make menuconfig), also 
reset by default.