Subject: [ire] Agenda for our meeting at IETF 77

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 10:34:51 -0400

I've been unable to upload the agenda to the official web site, but 
here it is for those on the list:

Agenda for Registry Data Escrow/Internet Registration Escrow BOF session
WEDNESDAY, March 24, 2010; 1030-1130  Morning Session II; Redondo room

1. Problem Statement and Goal - 20 mins

The desired outcome of the BoF is to first determine the scope and 
interest in defining a protocol or data format for domain name 
registration data escrow that would support a working group with the 
above goal. Another desired outcome would be a determination if there 
is a wider application of this to forms of Internet Registration 
Organizations other than domain name registries and registrars, such 
as number resources, routing registries and/or others.

2. Chartering discussion and potshots - 20 mins

Problem Statement:

Registration data escrow is the process by which an Internet 
registration organization (e.g., registries, registrars, DNS zone 
administrators, IP address administrators, Internet route 
administrators, etc.) periodically submits data deposits for storage 
to a contracted third party called Escrow Agent.

Retrieval of the data would be done by another beneficiary 
organization, should the original registration organization were 
unable to continue to function, e.g., as a result of a catastrophe.

Data escrow is a concept already in use. For example, in the context 
of domain name registries, data escrow is a requirement for the 
current generic top-level domains and it is expected to be for new 
ones in the future. Some country code top-level domain registries 
have also implemented data escrow for themselves. There is also a 
similar requirement for generic top-level domain accredited 
registrars.

The ultimate goal of data escrow is higher resiliency of registration 
services, for the benefit of the users of the registration 
organization and Internet users in general.

Draft charter:

The objective of the IRDE WG is to produce an specification of the 
contents and format of data escrow deposits, allowing extensions to 
support new services and objects.

The specification will allow a registration organization (different 
to the one making the deposits) to rebuild the registration services 
of the former in a timely manner, with minimum harm (downtime) to the 
users of those services (e.g., registrants, registrars, Internet 
users, etc.).

Contents in the deposits will comprise the minimum set of data 
required to resume operation of the registration services of the 
original registration organization, assuming the organization will 
not be there to provide any input or help.

Given the importance and sensibility of the information involved, 
authentication, confidentiality and integrity mechanisms will be 
considered in the specification when transferring the deposits to and 
from the Escrow Agent.

Goals and Milestones:

     May 2010    Submit first draft of IRDE specification.
     Nov 2010    Submit draft IRDE specification to IESG.

3. Escrow Draft discussion - 20 mins

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-arias-registry-data-escrow-00

-- 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis
NeuStar                    You can leave a voice message at +1-571-434-5468

As with IPv6, the problem with the deployment of frictionless surfaces is
that they're not getting traction.