Subject: [irs-discuss] irs problem statement

From: Thomas Nadeau <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 15:06:48 -0700

FYI...

A new version of I-D, draft-atlas-irs-problem-statement-00.txt
has been successfully submitted by Thomas Nadeau and posted to the
IETF repository.

Filename:	 draft-atlas-irs-problem-statement
Revision:	 00
Title:		 Interface to the Routing System Problem Statement
Creation date:	 2012-07-30
WG ID:		 Individual Submission
Number of pages: 12
URL:             http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-atlas-irs-problem-statement-00.txt
Status:          http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-atlas-irs-problem-statement
Htmlized:        http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-atlas-irs-problem-statement-00

Abstract:
  As modern networks grow in scale and complexity, the need for rapid
  and dynamic control increases.  With scale, the need to automate even
  the simplest operations is important, but even more critical is the
  ability to quickly interact with more complex operations such as
  policy-based controls.

  In order to enable applications to have access to and control over
  information in the Internet's routing system, we need a publically
  documented interface specification.  The interface needs to support
  real-time, transaction-based interactions using efficient data models
  and encodings.  Furthermore, the interface must support a variety of
  use cases including those where verified control feed-back loops are
  needed.

  This document expands upon these statements of requirements to
  provide a problem statement for an interface to the Internet routing
  system.

The IETF Secretariat

---

From: Vytautas Valancius <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 16:30:53 -0700

> Htmlized:        http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-atlas-irs-problem-statement-00

Nitpick:

"The transport mechanisms that are currently defined (e.g., SOAP/BEEP)
for NetConf are not those commonly used by modern applications (e.g.,
ReST or JSON)."

Technically correct, but, FYI, there is active work going on to make
NetConf and YANG REST and JSON friendly:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bierman-netconf-yang-api-00
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-lhotka-yang-json-00

Regards,
Valas

---

From: Alia Atlas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 20:43:12 -0400

Thanks for the pointers - I saw them on the agenda for NetConf as well.

As I said to Joel, we need to agree and focus on agreeing on the
problem-statement and use-cases before trying to pin down particular
protocol(s).

Hearing more feedback though about how well NetConf does or could meet
the needs and suggested requirements is quite interesting.

Alia

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 7:30 PM, Vytautas Valancius <[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> irs-discuss mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/irs-discuss