Subject: [irs-discuss] Fwd: I-D Action: draft-keyupate-bgp-services-01.txt

From: Robert Raszuk <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 00:02:51 +0200

Dear authors,

After reading this document I would like to observe that BGP seems to
not fit to the proposed application. Not that it is BGP fault, but the
service model required for service dissemination and discovery is much
better to be based on publish, subscribe, search primitives rather
then p2mp data base distribution propagation which is the BGP model.

Putting gateways between service providers and service consumers is a
nice try to address the end point BGP protocol language barrier, but
it does not address the discovery model.

While one could argue that services could have attached RTs and
RT-Constrain could be used to push filter to only receive what is
necessary however current industry have already solved this problem in
a much more elegant way by using MAP servers and IF-MAP protocol
between producers and consumers. The database behind the MAP server
can be build in a very robust way (as compared to today's BGP state of
the art).

I would recommend for the authors to consider such alternatives and
possibly rewrite the proposal to make it fit the needs of this very
important class of application which is service discovery.

Best regards,
R.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From:  <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 11:13 PM
Subject: I-D Action: draft-keyupate-bgp-services-01.txt
To: [email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Service Advertisement using BGP
        Author(s)       : Keyur Patel
                          Jan Medved
                          Rex Fernando
                          Burjiz Pithawala
        Filename        : draft-keyupate-bgp-services-01.txt
        Pages           : 12
        Date            : 2012-10-22

Abstract:
   A variety of services, such as NATs, firewalls, or caches, can be
   embedded in a service provider network or instantiated in data
   centers attached to the network.  This document proposes extensions
   to BGP that facilitate discovery of such service instances by
   interested clients and allows dissemination of service information,
   such as services capabilities or capacities, throughout the network
   domain.  The proposed extensions allow for optimal routing of
   requests to service instances that can optimally serve them.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-keyupate-bgp-services

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-keyupate-bgp-services-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-keyupate-bgp-services-01

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

---

From: "Keyur Patel (keyupate)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 23:01:59 +0000

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the comments. :) Comments inlined #Keyur.

>then p2mp data base distribution propagation which is the BGP model.

#Keyur: BGP has its own Pub sub model through use of RT. You could use it
if you like. :)

>it does not address the discovery model.

#Keyur: The draft provides a way to have a service discovery.

>can be build in a very robust way (as compared to today's BGP state of

#Keyur: I haven't seen a solution yet and so cant speak for it. ;)
However, the draft provides BGP as a transport for service discovery and
service advertisement.

>important class of application which is service discovery.

#Keyur: Sure.

Regards,
Keyur

>irs-discuss mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/irs-discuss