Subject: [irs-discuss] IRS and I2AEX BoF

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 09:22:42 -0600

All: During the discussion in Atlanta, I had pointed to some
overlap between IRS and a BoF held in Paris called i2aex (Infrastructure
to Application Information Exchange).  i2aex maintains that the
network infrastructure has volumnious amount of information that is
disseminated among the network infrastructure entities using many
existing protocols: BGP, IGP, netflow, CLI/SSH, SNMP, etc.  Applications
running outside the network infrastructure (or even in the network
infrastructure) would likely benefit from this information.  So, the
question is: in a fully- and partially-controlled environments,
how do we disseminate this information to the applications?
Do we need a new protocol for this?  Can we extend ALTO since a lot
of the requirements for this work came into the ALTO WG initially?

To some extent (modulo whether ALTO can be a candidate protocol), the
above captures the essence of slide 3 in [1].

We had a good discussion that may have some bearing on IRS.  For folks
who are interested, the slides and chunked audio stream (i.e., audio
stream corresponding to each agenda item discussion) is at [2].  i2aex
met as a non-WG forming BoF as well in Paris and concluded after having
met its objective in winnowing down the set of potential protocols that
could serve as an i2aex interface [3].

I understand that IRS is not looking for a specific protocol right now,
but some of what was discussed during i2aex may be of interest to the
IRS folks.

Please let me and Spencer Dawkins (co-chairs of i2aex BoF) know if you
have any specific questions.

[1] http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/85/slides/slides-85-irs-1.pptx
[2] http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/83/minutes/minutes-83-i2aex.html
[3] http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/altoext/current/msg00083.html

Thanks,

- vijay
-- 
Vijay K. Gurbani, Bell Laboratories, Alcatel-Lucent
1960 Lucent Lane, Rm. 9C-533, Naperville, Illinois 60563 (USA)
Email: vkg@{bell-labs.com,acm.org} / [email-masked]
Web:   http://ect.bell-labs.com/who/vkg/