Subject: [IRTF-Announce] NMRG Workshop on Management of VoIP - Call for Participation

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 09:25:19 +0200

Management of VoIP Workshop of the NMRG

			Call for Participation

		  Nancy (France) on July 30-31 2005
	    (Saturday/Sunday before the 63. IETF in Paris)

The 18th meeting of the Network Management Research Group (NMRG) of
the Internet Research Task Force (IRTF) will focus on management
aspects of Voice over IP (VoIP) networks. The goal of the workshop is
to survey ongoing activities related to the management of VoIP
networks, to discuss how they relate to each other and how they fit
into a common picture, and to identify areas where research or
standardization work is needed. Discussions on the NMRG mailing list
resulted in the following list of topics important to the management
and operation of VoIP networks:
                                                                               
  * call quality monitoring (loss, latency, jitter)                            
  * reliability (standby configurations, fast fail-overs)                      
  * emergency service capabilities                                             
  * expected call quality and maximum call volume prediction                   
  * diagnosis of VoIP problems                                                 
  * security and VoIP abuse prevention                                         
  * gateway utilization monitoring                                             
  * device provisioning models (using web services-like interfaces)            
  * device management behind NATs and firewalls                                
  * mechanisms to secure software downloads to terminals                       
                                                                               
The workshop format will be short prepared presentations (15-20
minutes) followed by extensive discussion. The presentations will
introduce and survey technologies which are under development and
which focus on one of the VoIP management topics listed above. In
addition to technology presentations, presentations by VoIP network
operators are especially welcome in order to contrast technology
aspects with operational experiences and requirements.
                                                                               
Minutes will be taken during the workshop. Some authors/editors will
be selected who volunteer to work towards an RFC or some other
suitable publication after the workshop which summarizes the state of
the art and any insights gained during the workshop.
                                                                               
All interested parties are invited to join the workshop. However, the
number of attendees will be limited due to the limited space available
and to achieve a productive workshop atmosphere. In case of over
subscription, preference will be given to people who are willing to
prepare a presentation and to lead a discussion. The list of accepted
presentations will be posted on the NMRG meeting web page which will
be updated regularly and also contains information about the
logistics.
                                                                               
http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/projects/nmrg/meetings/2005/nancy/                  
                                                                               
Please contact the meeting chair Juergen Schoenwaelder if you plan to
join the meeting with a short description how you plan to contribute
to a successful workshop.

Looking forward to meet you in France!

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany

_______________________________________________
IRTF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/irtf-announce