Subject: [IRTF-Announce] HIPRG Report

From: Aaron Falk <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 13:50:26 -0700

Host Identity Payload Research Group Report
August 2005

Co-chairs:  Andrei Gurtov (gurtov at cs.helsinki.fi)
            Tom Henderson (thomas.r.henderson at boeing.com)

The primary goal of the HIP Research Group (HIPRG) is to study the
proposed Host Identity Protocol and architecture and its potential
effects on the Internet.

The HIPRG continued its tradition of meeting on the Friday of IETF week.
Detailed minutes and proceedings from the Paris meeting can be found at
the IETF Proceedings site:
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/proceeding_interim.cgi?meeting_num=63>
There were 12 drafts discussed, and some informal presentations of some
research not yet in Internet Draft form.

The HIPRG is concentrating on two topics:
i) gaining and documenting experience with initial HIP deployments, and
ii) considering protocol extensions beyond those under development at
the HIP WG

Presently, three open source implementations are currently being
maintained for HIP (tracking the evolving WG drafts).  The
implementations are maturing in terms of protocol options, operating
system support, and stability.  Since the last meeting, two
implementations have added support for looking up identifiers in
distributed hash tables, and one implementation now runs on Windows XP.
In general, the available software still has room for improvement in
terms of ease of use/installation, and no widespread deployments are
known.

The following protocol extensions are being discussed:

- legacy NAT and middlebox traversal.  The RG is prepared to adopt the
  following problem statement draft as a RG draft:
  <http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-stiemerling-hip-nat-05.txt>

- advanced (HIP-aware) NAT and middlebox traversal

- combinations of SIP and HIP, including using SIP to exchange host
  identities, and combining HIP with SRTP

- extensions to support location privacy of mobile hosts

- integration with the Internet Indirection Infrastructure (i3)

- techniques to use HIP with unmodified applications

- API extensions for HIP-aware applications

_______________________________________________
IRTF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/irtf-announce