Subject: [IRTF-Announce] MOBOPTS RG Report

From: Aaron Falk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 20:17:49 -0700

Mobility Optimizations Research Group Report
August 2005

Document Progress: The two RG documents have made considerable progress. 
The Mobile IPv6 Return Routability Enhancements document underwent a 
comprehensive review by the RG and IETF MIP6 WG members. This has improved 
the document considerably. The other RG document on Deriving a Handover 
Sesssion Key using SEND was seen as mature enough that the IETF MIPSHOP WG 
has decided to adopt it in its charter. The RG also produced a document on 
the Problem Statement for Mobile IPv6 Location Privacy for the MIP6 WG. New 
RG documents are being considered.

Meetings: Following its current practice, the RG met during the IETF 
meeting (at Paris). There were two sessions with discussion on topics 
ranging from Link Characteristics Notification during Handovers, 
Network-controlled Handovers, Multicast and Mobility, discussion of tesbeds 
on link-assisted handovers and media-independent pre-authentication. These 
areas will be pursued as new topics.

Testbeds: A testbed involving link-assistaed fast handovers in a Wireless 
LAN using a moving car with live video has been built and demonstrated  by 
researchers at Keio University. This testbed will be freely available. A 
FreeBSD implementation for experimenting with Mobile IPv6 Return 
Routability enhancements has been done, and may be released using GPL 
license. Other testbeds, including media-independent handovers and  fast 
handovers, are in progress.

Publications: The members of the RG have also published research papers in 
conferences including ACM CCR, ACM Conference on Computer and 
Communications Security, IEEE ICC etc. A new link will be created at the RG 
website referencing member publications.

In summary, the RG has been significantly active (and productive) in 
multiple ways, including testbed creation, serving the needs of related 
IETF mobility groups, and contributions to academic research conferences. 
The RG has nearly completed the work on the original set of charter items. 
The RG is currently studying Location Privacy with Mobile IPv6 especially 
at the request of the MIP6 WG. Some topics that need greater RG attention 
are: Implications of conveying link information across the Internet as a 
function of handovers, applicability of link triggers for handover 
purposes, and barriers to mobility optimization across provider domains 
("tussle in mobility space"). The RG is planning to work on new topics 
including mobility in low-pan networks, multicast and mobility, 
network-controlled handovers and location privacy. 

_______________________________________________
IRTF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/irtf-announce