Subject: [IRTF-Announce] DTNRG Report

From: Aaron Falk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 18:46:14 -0700

Delay Tolerant Networking Research Group Report
Aug, 2005
Chair: Kevin Fall [kfall at intel.com]
Web site: http://www.dtnrg.org

DTNRG has been quite busy since its inception.  Highlights
include the following:

There have been papers at each of the 2003, 2004 and 2005 SIGCOMM
conferences on DTN.  The most recent, in 2005, explores ways
erasure coding can be used to help improve the probability of
messages when redundantly coded and transferred across multiple
paths.  There is a also DTN-focused workshop at SIGCOMM 2005 this
year ("WDTN") chaired by Kevin Fall and S. Keshav.  This new
workshop was relatively competitive for a new conference, with
a paper accept rate of approx 25%.

Two papers related to DTN will also appear at this year's MILCOM
conference in Oct 2005.  These include one paper on the use
of DTN in military ad-hoc networks, and another paper describing
the use of DTN in the US Marine Corps CONDOR system (a sort
of battlefield gateway).  In addition, two articles have
appeared recently:  one in IEEE Computer regarding the
case for developing technologies for developing parts of the
world (June 2005 issue), and one in IEEE Spectrum (August 2005) regarding
the tradeoffs NASA is making for interplanetary space
communications.

Delay Tolerant Networking was the subject of a Dagstuhl seminar
in Germany earlier this year.  The proceedings of this seminar
were recently published in the July 2005 issue of the ACM
Conmputer Communications Review.

DTNRG has also participated in IETF comparatively frequently in
the last couple of years.  It met with the full IETF at the
last two meetings (in Paris and Minneapolis) as well as IETF 60
in San Diego.  Each of these meetings involved about 50 people.
The mailing list, [email-masked], has
425 subscribers.  There are 6 internet drafts currently
active for the group.

The architecture being developed by the DTNRG also has an open
source reference implementation developed by the members
(one, in particular).  Details are available from the web site,
and code can be checked out using CVS.  This is the second
version of the reference implementation, and has been designed
specifically for ease of extension and for clarity.

The work of DTNRG has contributed to the formation of a program
within DARPA called 'Disruption Tolerant Networking.'  It is also
the basis for (at least) two US NSF projects and several international
projects.

_______________________________________________
IRTF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/irtf-announce