Subject: [IRTF-Announce] CFRG talk at IETF plenary: "Problems and Progress with Cryptographic Hashing"

From: Aaron Falk <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 09:02:58 -0800

Speaker: David McGrew, co-chair, IRTF Crypto Forum Research Group

Title: Problems and Progress with Cryptographic Hashing

Abstract:

The dramatic break of the Standard Hash Algorithm (SHA-1) motivates  us to 
replace that algorithm in many applications.  It also motivates  the 
re-consideration of the basic assumptions about these functions  and their 
uses (and misuses), which include digital signatures, key  derivation, 
message authentication, and commitment.  While collision- resistant hashes 
are required for digital signatures, recent and  ongoing work has 
identified alternative mechanisms for other  applications.  The IRTF Crypto 
Forum Research Group (CFRG) is  addressing these alternatives, 
investigating their use in Internet  protocols, and providing review and 
advice to IETF work in these areas.

Time & Location:
  THURSDAY, November 10, 2005
  1700-1930 Technical Plenary - Salon DEF
  The Westin Bayshore Resort and Marina
  1601 Bayshore Drive
  Vancouver, BC, Canada V6G 2V4
  see <http://www.ietf.org/meetings/IETF-64.html> for meeting location 
details

CFRG information
  see <http://www.irtf.org/charter?gtype=rg&group=cfrg>

_______________________________________________
IRTF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/irtf-announce