Subject: [IRTF-Announce] TMRG Report

From: Aaron Falk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 11:23:59 -0800

Transport Modeling Research Group Report
December 2005

The Transport Modeling Research Group has produced two new internet
drafts in the last four-month period.  The first draft, Metrics for
the Evaluation of Congestion Control Mechanisms
(draft-irtf-tmrg-metrics-01.txt), discusses the metrics to be
considered in an evaluation of new or modified congestion control
mechanisms for the Internet.  These metrics include throughput,
delay, and drop rates; fairness and convergence times; response
times and minimizing oscillations; robustness for challenging
environments; and the like.

The second draft, Tools for the Evaluation of Simulation and Testbed
Scenarios (draft-irtf-tmrg-tools-01.txt), discusses tools and
measurement results that can help in the constructions and evaluation
of simulation and testbed scenarios.  These tools include characterizations
of aggregate traffic; distributions of connection sizes, round-trip
times, packet sizes, and the like; characterizations of behaviors
such as drop rates as a function of packet size, burst size, and
sending rates, and more.  This document is very much a work in
progress.

Goals for the next round include a start on producing some
best-current-practice scenarios for simulations and testbeds for
evaluating congestion control mechanisms.  Another goal is a document
on Metrics for the Evaluation on Admission Control Systems.

_______________________________________________
IRTF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/irtf-announce