Subject: [IRTF-Announce] CFRG Report

From: Aaron Falk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 09:08:20 -0800

Crypto Forum Research Group Report
November 2005

An improved variant of the recently broken SHA-1 hash function was
proposed.  This work was also presented at the NIST hash function
workshop, and a draft CFRG specification is being written.

A proposal for randomized hashing was specified in a CFRG draft [1],
presented at the NIST workshop, and discussed.  Similarly, randomized
key derivation was debated, though there is no concrete proposal.

The UMAC message authentication code [2] was extensively reviewed and
discussed.  It went through several revisions, and a separate security
analysis was provided.  The email threads on this subject were
contentious but ultimately productive.

The UMAC discussions spun off a useful thread on expectations
regarding security claims and provability.  A draft recording these
expectations may be written.

[1] http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-irtf-cfrg-rhash-00.txt

[2] http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-krovetz-umac-06.txt

_______________________________________________
IRTF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/irtf-announce