Subject: [IRTF-Announce] HIPRG Report

From: Aaron Falk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 16:50:22 -0700

Host Identity Payload Research Group Report
August 2006

Co-chairs:  Andrei Gurtov (gurtov at cs.helsinki.fi)
            Tom Henderson (thomas.r.henderson at boeing.com)

The primary goal of the HIP Research Group (HIPRG) is to study the
proposed Host Identity Protocol and architecture and its potential
effects on the Internet.

The HIPRG continued its tradition of meeting on the Friday of IETF
week.  Detailed minutes and proceedings from the Montreal meeting can
be found at the IETF Proceedings site:
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/proceeding_interim.cgi? 
meeting_num=66>
There were 6 drafts discussed, updates on software status, and general
discussion.

The HIPRG is concentrating on two topics:

i) gaining and documenting experience with initial HIP deployments, and

ii) considering protocol extensions beyond those under development at
     the HIP WG

Presently, three open source implementations are currently being
maintained for HIP (tracking the evolving WG drafts).  The
implementations are maturing in terms of protocol options, operating
system support, and stability.  Recently, support for NAT traversal
has been added.

Some of the work items in HIPRG have moved to the HIP WG for final
discussions. Those include NAT traversal, native HIP API, and support
of legacy applications. The HIPRG has submitted a problem statement on
legacy middlebox traversal to the RFC editor queue
(draft-irtf-hiprg-nat-01.txt) following the new procedure for IRSG
publications.

Recently, the following protocol extensions are being discussed:

--Opportunistic HIP using TCP option
   <http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-lindqvist-hip- 
opportunistic-01.txt>

--Piggybacking payload to HIP base exchange
   <http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-lindqvist-hip-tcp- 
piggybacking-00.txt>

--HIP Service discovery
   <http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-jokela-hip-service- 
discovery-00.txt>

--Simultaneous Multi-Access extension to the Host Identity Protocol
   <http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-pierrel-hip-sima-00.txt>

http://www.irtf.org/hip
_______________________________________________
IRTF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/irtf-announce