Subject: [IRTF-Announce] NMRG update

From: Aaron Falk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 13:48:45 -0800

Network Management RG report

[1] The NMRG continues to study the behaviour of management protocols
   using traces collected from operational networks. The number of
   traces available is steadily increasing, although we are still short
   of traces from enterprise networks where we expect a larger
   percentage of commercial management applications to be deployed.

   On the technical side, the NMRG is working on exchange formats for
   SNMP traces (currently in second last call) and a common framework
   (and associated tools) for data aggregation / separation of SNMP
   traces (under active development by a small group, to be posted as
   an ID in January 2008). Based on this common framework, people
   analyze the periodic behaviour of SNMP traffic or they identify
   basic data retrieval algorithms used by management stations.
   Another aspect is the development of suitable online visualization
   tools.

[2] The NMRG did hold a 1.5 day meeting in November hosted by the
   University of Twente. Another meeting was held next to the Prague
   IETF earlier this year. In October 2007, a Communications Magazine
   paper on research directions in network management was published
   which originated from a joint NMRG / EMANICS workshop held in
   October 2006. Several regular NMRG attendees also participated in a
   Dagstuhl seminar in July 2007 on autonomic management.

[3] The SNMP measurement format ID is under second last call and will
   likely enter the IRTF publication procedure in January. The initial
   ID on data aggregation / separation will be posted in January and
   will then go through the RG process, which may mean that it gets
   last called in summer and if things go well is ready for the IRTF
   publication procedure in Fall. Thus, there will likely be a
   discussion about future work items during Summer 2008.

http://www.irtf.org/nmrg
http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/projects/nmrg/
_______________________________________________
IRTF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/irtf-announce