Subject: [IRTF-Announce] TMRG update

From: Aaron Falk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 13:48:40 -0800

Transport Modeling RG Report

Overview: The Transport Modeling Research Group (TMRG) is chartered to
produce a series of documents on models for the evaluation of
transport protocols. The documents will include a survey of models
used in simulations, analysis, and experiments for the evaluation of
transport protocols. The output of the research group will also
include a broad set of simulation test suites, and a set of
recommendations for test suites for experiments in test beds. The goal
of the work is to improve our methodologies for evaluating transport
protocols.

Recent accomplishments include the following:

(1) The first document from TMRG, Metrics for the Evaluation of
   Congestion Control Mechanisms (draft-irtf-tmrg-metrics-11), is in
   the final stages of review by the IRSG.

(2) Gang Wang, Yong Xia, and David Harrison have produced an
   internet-draft on "An NS2 TCP Evaluation Tool Suite"
   (draft-irtf-tmrg-ns2-tcp-tool-00.txt), along with a web page with
   simulation scripts.  The document describes a tool for use in the
   ns-2 simulator for generating scenarios with typical topologies and
   traffic models, and for evaluating results with a range of metrics.

(3) Lachlan Andrew organized a workshop for November at CalTech,
   called the TCP Evaluation Suite Round Table, to discuss scenarios
   for evaluating congestion control mechanisms.  As a result of this
   workshop, a short paper on "Towards a Common TCP Evaluation Suite"
   was written and submmitted to PFLDnet2008 (the yearly workshop on
   Protocols for Fast Long-Distance Networks).

Plans: Future plans include the further development of best current
practice scenarios for the evaluation of congestion control mechanisms
in simulators and testbeds, building on the paper "Towards a Common
TCP Evaluation Suite".  Plans also include the completion of the
internet-draft on "Tools for the Evaluation of Simulation and Testbed
Scenarios" (draft-irtf-tmrg-tools-04).

http://www.irtf.org/tmrg
http://www.icir.org/tmrg
_______________________________________________
IRTF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/irtf-announce