Subject: [IRTF-Announce] CFRG update

From: Aaron Falk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 13:48:43 -0800

Crypto-Forum RG Report

CFRG serves as a bridge between theory and practice, bringing new
cryptographic techniques to the Internet community and promoting an
understanding of their use and applicability. It is a forum for
discussing and analyzing general cryptographic aspects of security
protocols.  IETF working groups developing protocols that include
cryptographic elements often find it useful to bring questions to
CFRG.

Current Work

We discussed Message Authentication Code (MAC) requirements, both in
the context of draft-irtf-cfrg-fast-mac-requirements and the TCP-AO
that is currently under design in the TCPM WG.

New work that makes digital signatures less vulnerable to attacks
against hash functions (such as SHA-1 and MD5) was presented in
draft-irtf-cfrg-rhash-01.txt.

Some new work, draft-dharkins-siv-aes-01, was reviewed, discussed, and
revised.  This work presents a new method for authenticated encryption
that is more robust against misuse than most other modes.  It is under
consideration in TLS WG and other areas.

The draft "An Interface and Algorithms for Authenticated Encryption"
was approved for RFC.  This work has been adopted by the TLS WG as the
basis for its use of AES GCM, and it being adopted for other IETF uses
as well.

Future Work

We expect that a discussion of MAC candidates will follow the
discussion of MAC requirements.  References to some candidates have
already been provided.

http://www.irtf.org/cfrg
http://www.irtf.org/rg/cfrg/
_______________________________________________
IRTF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/irtf-announce