Subject: [IRTF-Announce] RRG update

From: Aaron Falk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 13:48:38 -0800

Routing Research Group Report

The Routing Research Group (RRG) is chartered to research routing and
addressing technology that is not yet ready for engineering efforts.
For the moment, the RRG has elected to focus on the problem of finding
a scalable routing and addressing architecture for the Internet.  In
the current architecture, a multi-homed site either injects one or
multiple provider-independent address prefixes into the routing system
from multiple locations, or otherwise injects one or more prefixes it
received from one provider into the routing system through other
providers. Either case necessitates global scope for the address
prefixes and results in a scalability issue.  Locally scoped address
prefixes are not sufficient as legacy transport (i.e., TCP and UDP)
connections use a specific prefix for connection identification,
thereby tying the connection to a specific access link and creating a
single point of failure.  The primary thrust of most of the proposals
currently before the group is to decouple the location semantics from
the identification semantics.

Since rechartering in early 2007, the RRG has met three times, and has
heard approximately 20 different technical proposals or updates to
proposals.  We continue to receive new proposals and refine a number
of existing proposals.  Our mailing list has been reasonably active.

Our goal is to drive the group to overall rough consensus through
debate and comparison of proposals. We plan to start the explicit
windowing process in our spring 2008 meeting (tentatively planned to
coincide with IETF 71 in March).  We expect that this process will
take a year.  During this process, new proposals are encouraged, and
existing proposals are open for revision, potentially incorporating
useful ideas from each other's effort and from the group's feedback.
Our goal is to converge to a single scalable routing architecture by
the end to recommend to the IETF for further development.  We plan to
meet at the Philadelphia IETF.

http://www.irtf.org/rrg
http://www1.tools.ietf.org/group/irtf/trac/wiki/RoutingResearchGroup
_______________________________________________
IRTF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/irtf-announce