Subject: [IRTF-Announce] HIP RG update

From: Aaron Falk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 13:48:35 -0800

Host Identity Payload RG Report

The IRTF HIP research group (HIPRG) complements the IETF HIP working
group, and has two main goals: 1) to provide a forum for discussion
and development of aspects of the HIP architecture that are still in
research phase and not ready for working-group-level standardization,
and 2) to stimulate, coordinate, discuss, and summarize experiments on
deploying HIP, to provide feedback at some later date to the IAB and
IESG on the consequences and effects of a wide-scale adoption of HIP.
For the latter goal, the RG is to produce an experiment report, which
currently exists in draft form (draft-irtf-hip-experiment-03.txt).

To date, most of the energy of the RG has been devoted to the first
goal. There have been and continue to be various drafts on issues such
as privacy extensions for HIP, basic and advanced NAT traversal, the
i3 architecture and HIP, DHT as a HIP lookup service, process
migration using HIP, SIP and HIP interactions, TCP piggybacking of HIP
messages, middlebox interactions, HIP and multicast, and network
operator concerns with HIP.  The RG has also pushed documents into the
rechartered HIP WG (NAT traversal, legacy application support, native
API) and has published its own IRTF-track document
"draft-irtf-hiprg-nat-04.txt".  There has been a clear, ongoing
interest from a wide range of individuals and groups to study how to
extend the HIP architecture.

However, it has been difficult for the RG to make progress on the
second goal.  The chairs observe that the goal of coordinating and
conducting experiments, particularly those oriented towards answering
deployment questions, is a much more difficult task, compared with
extending HIP.  Since 2006, the HIP RG chairs have encouraged more
collaborative experimentation and dissemination of results, and the
chairs view it as a priority to encourage wider-scale experiments and
collaboration that try to answer the specific deployment questions
about HIP.  There are three open source implementations of HIP that
are continuing to mature, so software availability becomes less of a
barrier over time.

The HIPRG met at the 70th IETF in Vancouver and plans a meeting at the
71st IETF in Philadelphia.  At the last meeting of the RG, the session
was split between presentation of some new HIP ideas regarding
multicast and internet connection sharing, some updates on HIP
projects and deployments, and discussions regarding the potential use
of HIP as part of the peer-to-peer SIP overlay solution.

http://www.irtf.org/hiprg
http://www.openhip.org/irtf/wiki

_______________________________________________
IRTF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/irtf-announce