Subject: [IRTF-Announce] SAM RG update

From: Aaron Falk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 13:48:36 -0800

Scalable, Adaptive Multicast RG Report

The RG was formed in June 2006 and is co-chaired by John Buford (Avaya
Labs Research) and Jeremy Mineweaser (MIT Lincoln Laboratory). The
scope of the RG is to research application layer multicast techniques
that leverage native multicast and can adapt to different application
requirements.

The SAM RG held two meetings in 2007: an interim meeting in January
2007 in conjunction with the P2P Multicasting Workshop, and a meeting
at IETF 69.

The main results of the RG are development of the following drafts and
publications related to work items in the charter of the RG:

- Problem statement and requirements
   draft-irtf-sam-problem-statement-01.txt
   draft-muramoto-irtf-sam-generic-require-01.txt

- Technology survey H. Yu, J. Buford. Advanced Topics in Peer-to-Peer
   Overlay Multicast. in Encyclopedia of Wireless and Mobile
   Communications (Ed. B. Fuhrt) CRC Press. To appear.

- Framework for the SAM design:
   draft-irtf-sam-hybrid-overlay-framework-01.txt A key part of the SAM
   framework is leveraging the design of "Automatic IP Multicast
   Without Explicit Tunnels (AMT)"
   (draft-ietf-mboned-auto-multicast-08) by extending it to permit ALM
   connection.

- Hybrid ALM protocol proposals, including:

   Waelrich & Schmidt: The Hybrid Shared Tree Architecture Lei, Fu,
   Yang, & Hogrefe: Dynamic Mesh-Based Overlay Multicast Protocol

- Testbed for SAM experimentation and demonstration Participants from
   WIDE have developed and tested an XCAST router on a private
   PlanetLab.  This work is discussed in:
   draft-muramoto-irtf-sam-exp-testbed-00 The XCAST (multidestination
   multicast) router is an element of the SAM Framework due to the
   synergy between overlay routing and multi-destination routing in the
   underlay network, which we have shown to have message savings of 30%
   in the following publication:

   Exploiting parallelism in the design of peer-to-peer overlays
   Computer Communications Journal, In Press, John Buford, Alan Brown
   and Mario Kolberg

The next meeting is scheduled for IETF-71. Goals for further work
include moving the XCAST router to the public PlanetLab for use by the
entire RG, and integrating this with the extended version of AMT
described in the SAM Framework specification.

http://www.irtf.org/samrg
http://www.samrg.org

_______________________________________________
IRTF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/irtf-announce