Subject: [IRTF-Announce] RFC 5325 on Licklider Transmission Protocol - Motivation

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 14:07:34 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5325

        Title:      Licklider Transmission Protocol - Motivation 
        Author:     S. Burleigh, M. Ramadas,
                    S. Farrell
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       September 2008
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      23
        Characters: 57016
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-irtf-dtnrg-ltp-motivation-07.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5325.txt

This document describes the motivation for the development of the
Licklider Transmission Protocol (LTP) designed to provide
retransmission-based reliability over links characterized by
extremely long message round-trip times (RTTs) and/or frequent
interruptions in connectivity.  Since communication across
interplanetary space is the most prominent example of this sort of
environment, LTP is principally aimed at supporting "long-haul"
reliable transmission in interplanetary space, but it has
applications in other environments as well.

In an Interplanetary Internet setting deploying the Bundle protocol,
LTP is intended to serve as a reliable convergence layer over
single-hop deep-space radio frequency (RF) links.  LTP does Automatic
Repeat reQuest (ARQ) of data transmissions by soliciting
selective-acknowledgment reception reports.  It is stateful and has no
negotiation or handshakes.

This document is a product of the Delay Tolerant Networking Research
Group and has been reviewed by that group.  No objections to its
publication as an RFC were raised.  This memo defines an Experimental 
Protocol for the Internet community.

This document is a product of the IRTF Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

_______________________________________________
IRTF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/irtf-announce