Subject: [IRTF-Announce] Proposed Revisions to the IETF Trust Legal Provisions (TLP)

From: Aaron Falk <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 11:54:23 -0400

Please send comments on the policy change below to [email-masked]
and [email-masked].  The intention of this policy change is to permit
unlimited derivative works for IRTF Stream RFCs.

--aaron

----------

The IETF Trustees invite your comments on the proposed revisions to  
the "Legal Provisions Relating to IETF Documents" (TLP) policy.  The  
proposed revisions are in rtf, pdf and doc formats and located at:http://trustee.ietf.org/policyandprocedures.html 
 under Draft Policies and Procedures for IETF Documents.

This is a summary of the proposed revisions:

2.e -- the review period for TLP changes has been changed from 30 to  
14 days, which is consistent with the last-call period for other IETF  
documents

2.f -- this new language describes the conditions under which the IETF  
Trust will assume licensing and copyright responsibility for IAB, IRTF  
and Independent Stream submissions, should the managers of those  
streams request that it do so.

4.a -- the URL for the list of Code Components has been updated

4.c -- clarifies that the BSD License may not be applied to Code  
Components that come from IETF Documents as to which the Contributor  
has prohibited the making of derivative works.

4.e -- this new section clarifies the legend requirements for Code  
Components that are used in software under the BSD License. In short,  
the user must include the full BSD License text or a shorter pointer  
to it (which is set forth in Section 6.d)

6 -- the language regarding placement of legends on IETF Documents has  
been clarified.  Placement on the "first page" is no longer required,  
and authority for placement of the legends is  with the RFC Editor and  
IESG.

6.a - the words "to IETF" have been removed, to enable submission to  
IAB, IRFT and other streams.

6.b -- a new sentence has been added to the legend that must be placed  
on all IETF Documents, pointing out the BSD License requirements  
described in 4.e above and emphasizing that code in IETF Documents  
comes without any warranty, as described in the BSD License.

6.c -- some minor clean-up edits

6.d -- the BSD legend/pointer described in 4.e above

7.a -- correction of capitalization

Please accept this message as a formal request by the IETF Trustees  
for your review and feedback on the proposed revision to the TLP  
document. The comment period will end on July 20, 2009.

I expect the Trustees will decide on whether to adopt this revision  
shortly after July 20, 2009.

Regards, and thanks in advance,

Marshall Eubanks
IETF Trust Chair