Subject: [IRTF-Announce] Research agenda in Network Science & Engineering

From: Aaron Falk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 16:26:58 +0200

The doc abstracted below was published last week and may be of interest to folks on this list. 

--aaron

---

    NetSE Research Agenda

    Over the past forty years, computer networks, and especially the
    Internet, have gone from research curiosity to fundamental
    infrastructure. In terms of societal impact, the Internet has
    changed the way we live, work and play, and altered our notions of
    democracy, education, healthcare, entertainment and commerce.  In
    terms of its design, the Internet has shown a remarkable ability to
    adapt to, even inspire, changes in technologies and applications. In
    short, the Internet has been a powerful engine for technological
    innovation and societal evolution. However, this is no time to rest
    on the successes of the past. To meet society’s future requirements
    and expectations the Internet will need to be better: more secure,
    more accessible, more predictable and more reliable.

    In 2008, the Computing Community Consortium (CCC) charged the
    Network Science and Engineering (NetSE) Council with developing a
    comprehensive research agenda that would support the development of
    a better Internet. This report summarizes the findings and
    recommendations of the NetSE Council.  Feedback to
    [email-masked] is welcome. 

    http://www.cra.org/ccc/docs/NetSE-Research-Agenda.pdf