Subject: [IRTF-Announce] IRTF IPR Disclosure Rules

From: "Eggert, Lars" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 23:36:35 +0000

Until now, the IRTF didn't have a clearly formulated statement of how IPR is handled by the organization. For the last year, the IRSG has been discussing this topic with the IETF's legal counsel and other community members with a deep understanding of the issues.

The result of this discussion is a short statement describing the IRTF's IPR disclosure rules, which you can find below as well as online at http://irtf.org/ipr. The short version is: the IRTF follows the IETF's IPR disclosure rules. Because researchers participating in the IRTF may not be very familiar with the IETF's rules, the IRTF IPR disclosure rules describe what is required of the individual participant in the most common cases.

Just as the IETF, the IRTF expects participants to be familiar with these rules and follow them when they make contributions.

Please email any comments or questions to [email-masked].

Lars Eggert
IRTF Chair

---

IRTF IPR Disclosure Rules

The IRTF follows the IETF IPR disclosure rules. This is a summary
of these rules as they relate to IRTF research group discussions,
mailing lists and Internet Drafts:

- If you include your own or your employer's IPR in a contribution
  to an IRTF research group, then you must file an IPR disclosure
  with the IETF.

- If you recognize your own or your employer's IPR in someone else's
  contribution and you are participating in the discussions in the
  research group relating to that contribution, then you must file
  an IPR disclosure with the IETF. Even if you are not participating
  in the discussion, the IRTF still requests that you file an IPR
  disclosure with the IETF.

- Finally, the IRTF requests that you file an IPR disclosure with
  the IETF if you recognize IPR owned by others in any IRTF
  contribution.

You may file an IPR disclosure here:
http://www.ietf.org/ipr/file-disclosure

See RFC 3979 (BCP 79) for definitions of "IPR" and "contribution"
and for the detailed rules (substituting "IRTF" for "IETF").