Subject: [IRTF-Announce] RFC 6693 on Probabilistic Routing Protocol for Intermittently Connected Networks

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 16:18:52 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6693

        Title:      Probabilistic Routing Protocol for Intermittently 
                    Connected Networks 
        Author:     A. Lindgren, A. Doria,
                    E. Davies, S. Grasic
        Status:     Experimental
        Stream:     IRTF
        Date:       August 2012
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      113
        Characters: 280908
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-irtf-dtnrg-prophet-10.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6693.txt

This document is a product of the Delay Tolerant Networking Research
Group and has been reviewed by that group.  No objections to its
publication as an RFC were raised.

This document defines PRoPHET, a Probabilistic Routing Protocol using
History of Encounters and Transitivity.  PRoPHET is a variant of the
epidemic routing protocol for intermittently connected networks that
operates by pruning the epidemic distribution tree to minimize
resource usage while still attempting to achieve the %best-case
routing capabilities of epidemic routing.  It is intended for use in
sparse mesh networks where there is no guarantee that a fully
connected path between the source and destination exists at any time,
rendering traditional routing protocols unable to deliver messages
between hosts.  These networks are examples of networks where there
is a disparity between the latency requirements of applications and
the capabilities of the underlying network (networks often referred
to as delay and disruption tolerant).  The document presents an
architectural overview followed by the protocol specification.
This document defines an Experimental Protocol for the Internet
community.

This document is a product of the Delay-Tolerant Networking Research Group of the IRTF.

EXPERIMENTAL: This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the
Internet community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any
kind. Discussion and suggestions for improvement are requested.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce, rfc-dist and IRTF-Announce lists.To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
  http://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/irtf-announce

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC