Subject: [IRTF-Announce] IRTF-cosponsored event: 3rd MANIAC Challenge

From: "Eggert, Lars" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 07:50:33 +0000

Hi,

the IRTF is a co-sponsor of the 3rd MANIAC Challenge on the Saturday before IETF-87 in Berlin.

Lars

-- 

       **  Call for Short Papers for the 3rd MANIAC Challenge  **

        Co-located with the 87th IETF meeting in Berlin, Germany
                     July 27 - August 2, 2013

                http://2013.maniacchallenge.org

        Sponsored by: Google, ISOC, IETF, IRTF, ANR, and BMBF

The MANIAC Challenge is a competition to better understand cooperation and
interoperability in ad hoc networks. Competing teams students/researchers
come together to form a wireless ad hoc network, while simultaneously
connected to a backbone of access points. The organizers will generate
traffic coming from the backbone, destined to somewhere in the network. A
hop-by-hop bidding contest decides the path of each data packet towards its
destination.

Each team usually consists of two to three people. Teams will be judged
based on how much of the traffic they relay gets to its destination. To get
their traffic across the network, each team must rely on other teams 
willingness to forward traffic for them. We have developed software and an
API over Android to allow teams to program their nodes, in particular
override forwarding decisions made by the routing protocol and participate
in the hop-by-hop bidding contest.

------------------------------------------------
Topic of 3rd MANIAC Challenge: Mobile Offloading
------------------------------------------------

The specific focus of the MANIAC Challenge 2013 is on developing and
comparatively evaluating strategies to offload infrastructure access points
via customer ad hoc forwarding using handhelds (e.g., smartphones,
tablets). The incentive for customers is discounted monthly fees, and the
incentive for operators is decreased infrastructure costs. The idea is to
demonstrate scenarios/strategies that do not degrade user experience while
offering significant mobile offloading on the infrastructure. 
Details about the scenario and competition rules are available at
http://2013.maniacchallenge.org/rules-setup.

----------
Submission
----------

We solicit the submission of short papers (max. 2 pages IEEE double-column
format) describing strategies for mobile offloading. After being
peer-reviewed, authors of selected submissions will be invited to
participate in the MANIAC Challenge and to attend the IETF meeting. We
highly encourage authors to continue the development of the offloading
strategy during the review time.

Please, submit your short paper via email to [email-masked].

-------------
Participation
-------------

Author participation will consist in attending the MANIAC Challenge in
Berlin, Germany, July 27 - 28, 2013. Authors are also invited to attend the
IETF/IRTF meeting July 28 - August 2, 2013. Participation in the MANIAC
Challenge is free of charge. Registration costs (at full-time student rate)
for the IETF/IRTF meeting are sponsored by ISOC.

Authors bring an implementation of the strategy described in the paper
submitted by the author, running on the common API and the common hardware
used for the event: the Nexus 7 tablet. The MANIAC API and software will be
released with the notification of acceptance. Hardware will be provided by
the organizers if necessary.

Each participant will then concurrently run its strategy during the
contest, taking place on July 27th at the Freie Universität Berlin. The
following day, a workshop will take place at the IETF venue, where we will
summarize and discuss the results of the contest.

The winners of the MANIAC Challenge 2013 will be announced during the IRTF
Open Meeting, which is part of the IETF/IRTF week with high visibility. The
IRTF Open Meeting usually will be attended by more than 100 experts from
industry and academia working on Internet Engineering. 

Winners will take home some prizes to be determined with sponsors. Competing 
teams will be provided complimentary IETF registration enabling them to attend 
the 87th IETF meeting in Berlin, July 28 - August 2nd.

Details about the submission and participation are available at
http://2013.maniacchallenge.org/participation/

------------
Mailing List
------------

If you are interested in the MANIAC Challenge 2013, please subscribe to
the mailing list [email-masked]. We will inform you
about updates.
https://lists.fu-berlin.de/listinfo/maniac2013-info#subscribe

---------------
Important Dates 
---------------
 -  Deadline for short paper submission:   May 5, 2013 
 -  Notification of acceptance:            May 12, 2013 
 -  Release of API and software:           May 12, 2013
 -  MANIAC challenge dates:                July 27 - 28, 2013 
 -  IETF/IRTF meeting:                     July 28 - August 2, 2013

----------------
MANIAC Co-Chairs 
----------------

- Emmanuel Baccelli (INRIA)
- Oliver Hahm (INRIA)
- Felix Juraschek (Freie Universität Berlin)
- Thomas Schmidt (HAW Hamburg)
- Heiko Will (Freie Universität Berlin)
- Matthias Wählisch (Freie Universität Berlin)

-------
Contact
-------
For questions, please contact [email-masked]