Subject: [IRTF-Announce] RFC 7426 on Software-Defined Networking (SDN): Layers and Architecture Terminology

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2015 14:50:33 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7426

        Title:      Software-Defined Networking (SDN): Layers and 
                    Architecture Terminology 
        Author:     E. Haleplidis, Ed.,
                    K. Pentikousis, Ed.,
                    S. Denazis, J. Hadi Salim,
                    D. Meyer, O. Koufopavlou
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IRTF
        Date:       January 2015
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      35
        Characters: 85111
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-irtf-sdnrg-layer-terminology-04.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7426

Software-Defined Networking (SDN) refers to a new approach for
network programmability, that is, the capacity to initialize,
control, change, and manage network behavior dynamically via open
interfaces.  SDN emphasizes the role of software in running networks
through the introduction of an abstraction for the data forwarding
plane and, by doing so, separates it from the control plane.  This
separation allows faster innovation cycles at both planes as
experience has already shown.  However, there is increasing confusion
as to what exactly SDN is, what the layer structure is in an SDN
architecture, and how layers interface with each other.  This
document, a product of the IRTF Software-Defined Networking Research
Group (SDNRG), addresses these questions and provides a concise
reference for the SDN research community based on relevant peer-reviewed
literature, the RFC series, and relevant documents by other
standards organizations.

This document is a product of the Software-Defined Networking Research Group of the IRTF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce, rfc-dist and IRTF-Announce lists.To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
  https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/irtf-announce

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

---

From: "Eggert, Lars" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2015 09:10:46 +0000

> Begin forwarded message:
> 
> To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Subject: RFC 7426 on Software-Defined Networking (SDN): Layers and Architecture Terminology
> From: [email-masked]
> Date: January 7, 2015 at 23:50:33 GMT+1
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Reply-To: [email-masked]
>