Subject: [IRTF-Announce] RFC 7933 on Adaptive Video Streaming over Information-Centric Networking (ICN)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2016 11:44:36 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7933

        Title:      Adaptive Video Streaming over Information-Centric 
                    Networking (ICN) 
        Author:     C. Westphal, Ed., S. Lederer, D. Posch,
                    C. Timmerer, A. Azgin, W. Liu, 
                    C. Mueller, A. Detti, D. Corujo, 
                    J. Wang, M. Montpetit, N. Murray
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IRTF
        Date:       August 2016
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      40
        Characters: 104192
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-irtf-icnrg-videostreaming-08.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7933

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7933

This document considers the consequences of moving the underlying
network architecture from the current Internet to an Information-
Centric Networking (ICN) architecture on video distribution.  As most
of the traffic in future networks is expected to be video, we
consider how to modify the existing video streaming mechanisms.
Several important topics related to video distribution over ICN are
presented.  The wide range of scenarios covered includes the
following: evolving Dynamic Adaptive Streaming over HTTP (DASH) to
work over ICN and leverage the recent ISO/IEC Moving Picture Experts
Group (MPEG) standard, layering encoding over ICN, introducing
distinct requirements for video using Peer-to-Peer (P2P) mechanisms,
adapting the Peer-to-Peer Streaming Protocol (PPSP) for ICN, creating
more stringent requirements over ICN because of delay constraints
added by Internet Protocol Television (IPTV), and managing digital
rights in ICN.  Finally, in addition to considering how existing
mechanisms would be impacted by ICN, this document lists some
research issues to design ICN-specific video streaming mechanisms.

This document is a product of the Information-Centric Networking Research Group of the IRTF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce, rfc-dist and IRTF-Announce lists. To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
  https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/irtf-announce

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC